Greenwriter's Story Teaser

Comincia dall'inizio

Before conscience and fear could seep in, he relaxed his hand and placed one finger over the black screen.

He had heard stories. Any angels gracing a contract with a Stronghold would never get the chance to see it before or even after the act. They simply had to trust a Stronghold's word.

The Guardian watched as a white circle slowly moved outward from his finger and crawled to each corner of the screen until it was fully lit in white.

Ivor Stronghold smiled and reached for the phone. "Nice doing business with you, Azra," he said, pocketing the phone. The Guardian's jaw tightened at the mention of his name. "I assume you want the blood to be drawn before your eyes?"

Azra nodded, his ears listening on every conversation around him once again. He was safe. No suspicious language or alarming words.

He watched as Ivor Stronghold turned the small cylinder between the two fingers of his right hand. He positioned the top end of the glass over one finger of his left hand and immediately thereafter, a soft snap was heard. Ivor did not flinch as the needle pricked his skin and a drop of scarlet liquid trickled agonizingly slow down the glass cylinder.

Ivor pulled the cylinder away from his finger with a menacing smile. Azra scowled as the shell rolled across the table, the sound distinct. "That's not enough."

"You are obviously new to this," Ivor said. "A drop of a Stronghold's blood is enough to kill up to the first sphere." His eyes narrowed at the Guardian, the corner of his lips lifting into a mocking smile. "But surely you are not planning to touch one of the royals. A seraph will turn you into dust without batting an eye even before your weapon reaches it. I cannot recommend the second sphere either, given your status and capabilities. What I suggest, though, is that you utilize this inside your sphere. As a nanny, you have a high chance of killing a fellow angel of the same class."

Azra's jaw tightened. He was not planning on using it on any angel.

As though hearing his thoughts, Ivor nodded and sighed. "Then you are planning to trade it with a Sleeper. They all do, after all." Ivor stood up and righted his suit. He looked down at the angel with a smile. "Tonight. Seven sharp. Is your ward ready?"

"He is always ready."

*****

Driving down the quiet road in the middle of the night should be calming, but the man behind the wheels was itching.

He had to kill.

He drove by a large cabin. Should he?

Azra, sitting behind him in the passenger seat, invisible ever since the human was born, sighed and whispered, "No. The neighbors will hear."

His ward shivered and groaned, hearing reason.

He stepped on the gas. He had to find one fast.

Twenty-five. Two more. Two more...

Azra turned his silver head to look out the window. "Up there. A lone cabin," he said, loudly this time.

His ward moistened his lips as he zoned in on his target. He could see the isolated light through the tall pine trees.

Now.

Twenty-five.

Kill.

Now.

Twenty-five.

Two more.

*****

"What are you doing here?" the female Guardian demanded as the human walked past her. "There was no report of our wards crossing over tonight."