Trapped

Ivy's POV

            The day started like any other, I woke up early to feed the chickens and animals on my family's farm. It was my chores every day. If I didn't do my chores, or I was late on doing them; my parents would beat me. My father never raised his voice, it was always my mother beating me. My father has never raised his hand to me. He would always just give me a death stare and I knew I was in trouble. My mother felt like men don't know their strength so it was always up to her.

        I always love looking after and taking care of the horse, they looked wild and free. I wish I could take a horse and a few of my things, never look back. Then I would be free. I would want Damian to come with me. We have been childhood lovers since long as I can remember. He's very sweet and very kind, their farm is next to ours. If we were to marry then, our families could have one big farm instead of two smaller farms. Of course, we would want our own land. We could trade some live stock for more land. Damian and I could have a great life together.

         The day was almost done, after I finish brushing the horses I can go inside and have dinner. Only a few more hours of daylight. I wonder if my mother made her potato stew, it tastes even better from a hard day's work dealing with all the animals and doing things around the farm.

        Brushing one of the horses, my mind snapped out of daydreaming when the king's knights stopped in front of our wooden fence of our farm. My father stopped what he was doing, "Welcome to our farm. Your highness."

"It's a small farm."
"Yes, your highness."

        My father bowed, then the man he was talking to walked out of the carriage. I looked around even my mother was bowing. "You crazy girl, bow. Right now! He will have your head!" She tried to yell but in a whisper.

One of his men that was already dismounted from his horse, he unsheathed his sword and put it to my mother's throat yelling at my mother. "Quiet woman! You don't talk unless you are spoken to."

       My mother kept her head bowed, then I hurried to bowed my head. It was the first time I saw the king. I always heard rumors about our king. I would have never imagined he would come to our small farm. His dark presence is not welcoming.

         Being lost in my head again, the king stopped in front of me. I still had my head bowed, I didn't dare move a muscle. With one word he could kill me and my family.

"The girl."

         He only spoke two words, those two words he spoke was enough. One of the king's men, took my arm. It was enough strength to put me on my feet. He pushed me into the carriage. The king followed behind me. He sat on one side of the carriage and I sat on the other side. I didn't dare speak or even look at him. I am too lowly, I don't have the right to look at him; I can feel his presence.

"Return to the castle!" The king ordered his soldiers.

***

         After a short little while in the carriage, the whole ride was silent. I only hear his deep breathing and the horses racing to the castle. My heart felt like it would beat out of my chest. We arrived at the castle, the castle was grand. Little did I know these stone walls would be my home.

         I heard from my father that the last king was kind and generous. Nothing like the king that sits on the throne now. My mother said this king is cruel and heartless. That I was never to set foot in the capital where the castle is because of the new king and his heartless soldiers.

        The towns people all kneeling in front of the new king. He became king three years ago, he fought many battles for the old king and won. It has been said the new king has stars from each battle he has won. Any man that dared to fight him, had no chance in hell to beat him. He is very skilled in battle, war, he was the king's right-hand man. The old king never had children so it would be right for the hand of the king now to take his place.