"Who is we?"

He suddenly looked stiff. "The . . . people I work with," he said slowly, not falling for even his own words.

"So I can't know much, or what we're delivering, and not even the people we're doing it for?"

Cedric sighed, slouching his shoulders as he tried his best to resist me. "I don't want you to get involved in this. I just want you to sit tight and let me do all of the work."

"If you don't want me involved, then why did you ask me to get involved?"

He showed the same pained expression he often wore when he wanted to smoke, but knew he shouldn't. "Because I fucked up when I tried to help you with a job."

"I told you it was okay."

"I know, but once we're done with this, you'll be walking home with five grand in your pockets."

"Five grand?" I mouthed back in disbelief.

He nodded, watching me sink into my seat as I realized I'd be getting five grand for sitting next to some hot fucking dude with the blowjob skills of a God.

Five grand was a lot of money. More money than anyone could ever earn for simply sitting. If it wasn't drugs, then what the hell were we delivering? Who would pay that much for non-drug related deliveries? Could it be jewelry? Important documents with terrifying secrets? Or perhaps illegal boxes of chocolate eggs. It couldn't be that bad if Cedric was still here.

The next two hours were slightly painful. The Cedric from yesterday was still there, menacingly quiet and antisocial. I was aware that our friendship was still new, and I had no right to say who he truly was, but Cedric had this type of personality that as soon as something was off, you'd notice right away. He wasn't being the same Cedric I talked to through text messages, or the Cedric I met at the bar and at the bus stop. And most of all, he wasn't being the same guy I clicked with at his apartment, who showed me a wild night with just his mouth.

He barely said a word to me, even when we arrived at the sketchy location with dozens of black and white vans parked like they were in some military formation. The area looked like a prison; there were barbed wires on the tall fences, the buildings were connected to each other, and there seemed to be guards everywhere.

When we arrived, the gates opened to us like they knew who Cedric was. He drove us to the back of the building, where all of the regular cars were parked, and eased the truck between two others, shutting off the engine and snapping off his seat belt.

"Let's go," he said, hopping out of the car and taking and backpack from the back seat.

There was a girl by the front door of the building. She was just standing there, watching everything, but so out of place. She was wearing a long coat that matched her grey afro. Despite the color, she was youthful and beautiful. The girl glanced at me as I followed Cedric inside the building. It was possible that seeing me made her feel relieved. I was a young guy, dressed like this, in an area full of buff men with scary faces, and an overwhelming feeling of danger. I was the opposite of threatening.

Cedric could be threatening, if he didn't walk like his balls were too big for his pants.

Inside the building, a woman approached Cedric and talked to him quietly. It seemed serious, so I stepped aside and hovered around a nearby window, peering through it and catching a glimpse of the girl outside. She reminded me of a fearless reporter ready to stomp into a dangerous scene as long as it got her a story.

"Lucian," Cedric called, gesturing with his head to follow him.

"What is this place?" I asked under my breath.