𝐦𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐫 - chasing pavements

by : xbarrjallenx

summary : (Y/N) came back to Hawkins and attended Snow Ball to have fun with the party, but then discovered something that would just break her heart.

————

It was your school's Snow Ball and you were really happy that you were able to come back to Hawkins in time and attend the event without any problems.

Your cute dress swayed as you walked across the gym, doll shoes slowly tapping on the floor. Your face slowly became red and hot as you noticed that some people were looking at you, observing you from head to toe. You were so shy and timid, but you kept on roaming your eyes around and you could see the different types of decors and designs that have been used to embellish the venue. At first, you couldn't believe that they managed to fix your simple and old school gym, but then you thought that nothing was impossible.

"(Y/N)!" Your four boy best friends chimed in unison as they caught your glance. You sheepishly smiled at them as they walked towards you to give you a tight, but warm embrace. They welcomed you back and you could say that they missed your presence so much, nevertheless you left them without any warning.

"Oh my God, you are all good looking," You complimented the boys, right after examining their outfits. You were obviously surprised, because they grew up so much in the past few months that you were gone. "and Dustin, I love the hair!" You winked at him, earning a wide and sweet smile from the boy. You thought that maybe he got some tips from Steve Harrington, one teenage boy that he used to detest so much.

"You don't look too bad yourself either, (Y/N)." Mike exclaimed back, flashing you a flattered smile. Your heart suddenly beat fast as you heard his sweet words, making you blush a little bit too. You heard your friends cheering for you and Mike, making their eyebrows dance wildly to poke fun at you.

"I think that you two should talk." Lucas said, excusing himself from the group. Your eyebrows were knitted together as you couldn't understand what Lucas meant. You earned some cheeky smiles from Will and Dustin, meaning that they were teasing you with Mike.

Of course, after all the years that you have known each other, they knew what you felt for Mike. He was your first crush, maybe your first love too. It was obvious and your friends noticed it by the way you looked at him, by the way you cared about him, by the way you talk to him. They said that sparkles were always seen in your eyes and your smile was warm enough to emanate heat and love. In fact, they were right. You liked Mike and you just couldn't deny it. But why Mike didn't seem to notice it?

"Idiots!" Mike playfully exclaimed and the boys just shrugged everything off, quickly following Lucas' path to leave you both alone.

You took the empty seats near you and you watched some kids as they slow-danced with their partners. You could feel the tension between you and Mike and it somehow made you feel uncomfortable, nevertheless he was your best friend and you had a strong on-going bond.

"Why did you leave?" Mike suddenly blurted out, breaking the silence between you. He tried to catch your gaze, but you did your very best to avoid it. "I mean, suddenly. Without saying goodbye to the party."

You quickly felt guilty for leaving them with their obliviousness. You thought that you weren't that important to them that they would never notice your absence if you ever left. "I'm sorry. My grandfather suddenly felt bad, making us move back to Chicago for a while." You downheartedly explained to him.

You were really feeling bad for leaving them behind. They were your best friends and you missed them. You also heard that some incredible things happened during your absence.