Chapter 7: The Truth?

I think my question may have partly surprised Izaya, and partly intrigued him. Either way, it showed in his face that his interest was grasped.

He tapped the spot next to him, motioning for me to sit down. I joined him on the couch and faced him.

No backing down now.

"So? What's your job?"

He leaned back and smiled. "I get information, I give information, I store information. That is what an information broker does. People pay me to find out things and relay messages. I pay others to do jobs either for myself or at another's request." He was explanatory, yet vague at the same time. "I'm good at keeping secrets and at lying, although I rarely need to do the latter. Quite frankly, humans are my playthings, and I keep an eye on all of them. In a way, I'm like God, even if I don't believe in such a concept."

I see. He enjoys manipulating people for his own entertainment. Watching people in pain and suffering, because of his doing, brings him amusement. Dangit. I'm sure I've gotten myself tangled in his plans by now.

I only nodded in acknowledgement. "Ah. I understand." In all honesty, I don't think I had anything else I could say. Now everything I said, and everything I did, could be used against me. And I was a fool to not realize it until now.

"Is that too much for you to handle? You look a bit pale." His voice sounded even more condescending and evil than before. I couldn't tell if it had always been like that or not.

"I'm alright. Ya know," I smiled, "I'm glad you shared this with me."

Kill him with kindness? I guess it's my only option since he feeds on anger and drama.

I tried changing the subject, and that's when I remembered.

"Didn't you say you were going to a movie?"

"Right... That's in a few minutes." He stood and offered a hand to help me up.

What a jerk.

"Maybe you'd like to come with?" He held out his calm hand and kept on that mask of a smile.

Did he just ask me out? No way; he has something planned, I bet.

I stood without accepting his hand. "Fine," I answered. "Let me just grab my jacket. Don't try anything while we're there...pervert." I laughed while taking up my jacket in my arms.

"Like I said before, you're not my type," he responded.