E I G H T

That night Sumire had been waiting for plans to come through with a friend of hers for a while. Both of them were busy with their jobs and normal life responsibilities, but they finally found time to grab a drink together.

She went to a bar of the closest city to U.A., which was a favorite among the citizens and locals. It was a quieter bar, but there was still music, which was occasionally live, and dancing for those that wanted to. But the music was never too loud to hold a decent conversation at the bar, which is why she liked it.

As soon as she entered the bar, she was greeted with a warm hug from a long-time friend she had been trying to meet up with.

"Sumi! I've missed you!" The small-statured woman yelled excitedly, beaming from seeing her silver-haired friend.

"I'm so glad we managed to find the time to catch up, Hibiki." Sumire agreed, equally as thrilled but less extroverted about it.

"Come, come. I have a seat at the bar." Hibiki pulled at the taller girl's wrist, bringing her to two barstools where her friend had already ordered a drink. Hibiki wasn't a hero like Sumire was, but she certainly wasn't quirkless either. She had a "Bat" quirk, which made her have features like the named animal. She had large black ears that extended from the sides of her head like a bat's wide ears, and dark skin like the darker coloration of the creatures. Her hair was even darker than her skin tone and she wore it short and layered, matching her spunky personality.

Like a bat, she also had exceptional hearing, but she didn't have wings so she couldn't fly like one. She may have developed her quirk to be able to use it more efficiently and discover knew abilities as a result from it had she chosen to pursue the hero course route. She went to U.A. at the same time that Sumire did, but she was in the general studies program, so they didn't spend much time together in classes, but got to know each other after school hours as they lived close to each other.

"Fill me in, fill me in!" Hibiki cheered, pressing the more reserved girl for information as friends do. "How's the new job? How are the coworkers?"

Sumire released a light-hearted chuckle. "The job is great. U.A. is... eventful but rewarding. Even when the students aren't in classes, they're growing and learning, and they're some really promising young heroes."

"I'm sure, I've seen some of those kids on T.V." The shorter girl agreed enthusiastically. "And your co-workers? What kind of heroes do you work with? Any of 'em catch your eye?" She smirked, her sparkling green eyes wide and eager.

"Well, I work more behind the scenes, so I don't have many personal relationships with the teachers. But I do work with All Might, Midnight, Present Mic, Cementoss, and Eraser Head. I guess that's a pretty hefty staff list." She answered with a laugh and took a sip of the beer the bartender brought her.

"Yeah, yeah, that's cool." Hibiki waved off the casual conversation. "But I want the dirtier details. Who's cute, who's not, and who you've got your eye on." She wiggled her eyebrows, looking at her friend expectantly.

Sumire laughed. "You're awful, Hibiki."

"You love me for it." She bantered back. "But come on, are there any men catching your eye? There's got to be someone."

"Mm... not really. They're all pretty strange characters. No one really... dating material."

"That's a whole lot of "not really's" and excuses for "there may actually be someone."" Hibiki pushed.

"That's a whole lot of grasping at nothing." The silver-haired woman chuckled.

This earned a pout from the smaller-built girl as she whined, "Boo, so lame."