Nighttime Reassurances

"It's all Tony's fault." Steve hissed. "Spiderman would still be alive if it weren't for him!"

"Where were you, Tony?" Nat asked, taunting. "When he was screaming for you while being tortured slowly, never giving up hope that you will find him until they took the light right out of his eyes?"

Each figure materialized in front of Tony. "You didn't save me." Pepper said, her body slowly turning black and crumbling into dust.

"You're the reason I'm dead." Rhodey appeared next. "Your armour wasn't enough." his disembodied voice shouted, as Tony looked at his dead body, wrapped in a cocoon of twisted metal and wires, his face oozing with blood.

The Avengers came next.

Steve, dead because Tony couldn't reach him on time.

Natasha, shot because the weapons he made for her didn't work.

Bruce, tortured because he didn't give the access codes for the tower.

Clint, dead because he saved Tony's life.

Thor, his arm ripped off, his face covered in scars, all because someone hacked into his suits and programmed them to kill him.

Wanda, killed when she was still a child, hiding in Sokovia while a Stark missile blew up her house.

Everyone Tony cared about was dead. 

Because of him.

______________________________________

Every single nightmare was another upgrade, another layer of safety, another armour around his loved ones.

Tony woke up, panting, his hands desperately clutching the sheets. Sweat was pooling down his face and onto the pillow, his entire body feeling feverish. He staggered out of bed without thinking, eyes red and bloodshot, and crawled his way outside.

After an anxiety-induced check with FRIDAY that Pepper and Rhodey- who were both currently outside the tower- were all right, he leaned against the wall, overcome by the crippling waves of panic that were passing through him mercilessly.

His heart started pounding furiously, and each breath felt as painful as driving needles into his heart. Tony's head swirled with thoughts, each one more painful than the other, slowly breaking any semblance of control that he had left.

He was falling into an endless, black spiral, it's center burying his body in its gravity, pulling him away from the ledge he was so desperately holding onto. His panic was so crippling that he couldn't hear FRIDAY's worried voice, all sounds simply blurring into a brutally sharp cacophony.

He suddenly felt two strong arms encircling him, stroking his hair and gently shaking him, murmuring soft instructions into his ears. It was Peter.

"Hey, Mr. Stark, can you feel my breath?" he said, pulling a hand against his chest to show Tony. "Take deep breaths, Mr. Stark. Pepper is fine, Rhodey's asleep in his apartment, all the Avengers are safe and I'm right here, Mr. Stark." Peter whispered, slowly bringing his mentor's breath to a normal rate.

"You're safe, you're safe..." He murmured gently, hugging him.

This went on for a few more minutes, with Peter reassuring him, his voice slowly calming Tony down. When Tony's thoughts finally stopped spiraling, he shakily stood up into his feet. "Thanks, kid." he whispered.

"You're welcome Da... Mr. Stark." He said, his voice like a cotton blanket draped over Tony- rising slightly when he slipped, which didn't go unnoticed by the billionaire.

Peter slowly led his father figure towards the couch and firmly sat him down. "Relax and sleep Mr. Stark." He pleaded, settling next to him.

"Anything for you kid." Tony laughed lightly, leaning into the couch.

Peter launched into a speech about Star Wars in an attempt to distract him, and Tony could slowly feel his mind settling down, used to the familiar routine of Peter's rambling.

After a few minutes, Peter's voice slowly faded away. Tony glanced towards him to a pair of droopy eyes looking at him blearily, and chucked at the sight.

Peter slowly leaned into Tony's shoulder and mumbled a sleepy 'G'nite dad'.

It took Tony a few seconds to process what he said, and he immediately turned towards the teenager, who was already asleep. Tony smiled at his kid, who had unknowingly wormed his way into the most guarded of hearts. He muttered a small 'thank you' to Peter, before promptly falling asleep himself.

And if FRIDAY didn't take a picture of that moment and send it to Pepper, Rhodey and the rest of the Avengers, Tony would have considered her a failure.

______________________________________

Needless to say, all the Avengers awwed when they saw Tony and Peter blissfully asleep. Many pictures were taken, and once Peter and Tony woke up, Tony didn't want Peter to call him anything but dad, to which Peter agreed, furiously blushing.

Sure, Tony had problems, but with his dysfunctional family, his future finally looked bright and full of happiness.

______________________________________

A/N: Sigh, another chapter, another author's note not read. But seriously, you guys are amazing. I live for this now. Anyways, I better start studying for my exams.

Goodbye!!