Confession Is Good for Something

Keith Alford x MC
Rating: G

Since working for the Alford family, things have been pretty nice. If you could call Keith's rude comments and constant shouting pretty nice. But, it's just the way he's always been. Guess I've been here long enough to sort of become immune to it. It helps that his sister Catherine sees me as an important person in her brother's life. She's, at times, wise beyond her tender years.

Today, I'm in the garden. Catherine asked me to have lunch with her so how could I refuse? It was a lovely day, Summer hasn't taken full effect yet so the dress I wore was just right for staying cool while having lunch with a princess.

When I reach the spot she's told me to go to, I see Keith ahead of me. "Hey," I call out to him. "What are you doing here?"

"Catherine asked me to join her for lunch," the prince said matter of factly. The breeze tousled his hair a bit and sun hit his eyes, making them sparkle like emeralds. "What are you..."

"Oh, good," Catherine smiles as she clapped her hands together. "You're both here. Luke is almost finished setting things up."

Looking at Keith, he did the same to me and we both followed her to the spot set up for a summertime luncheon outdoors. A large table was set with all kinds of light looking foods from sandwiches to salad to lemonade on ice. Simple but still something anyone could enjoy. That's when Keith noticed something. "Hey... there's only two settings."

"That's right!" Catherine looked everything over, seeming very pleased. "I so happened to forget that I need to be somewhere else so you two are going to have to enjoy this all yourself."

"What? No way!" Keith is yelling now. "I came here to have lunch with you, Cat. What's the big deal?"

"The big deal is that you suck at expressing your feeling and emotion, brother. So now is your chance to do so while everyone else is at the main house doing whatever it is they're doing in preparation for the Summer Festival." She looked between us and I just felt parent trapped somehow.

But, she's right. This year, it was decided that a festival would be held in celebration of the people of Liberty. So a week long celebration is being planned which included invitations to the other nations. And when that happens, that means the other princes will be here as well.

Catherine took on a serious tone when she spoke again. "I'm in charge of making the invitations for the other kingdoms and bring the prince's here for the week of fun in the sun. Last time they were here, they were all very happy to see [___] so I'm sure they will be when they're here. I heard there's going to be a beach appearance at the sand castle event, too."

I gasped. "That means..."

"Yes!" Catherine squealed and grabbed my hands in glee. "Fan service with them all, including my brother," whom she stuck her tongue out at," will be in nothing but swim trunks! I can't wait! Anyway," she waved at us as a nervous Luke stood in the distance. " I'll leave you to lunch and discuss whatever you like. Bye now~" And they were gone in a flash.

"Wow, she is really into the festival, isn't she," I say as I walk to the table and take a seat. "Shouldn't let her trouble in making this lunch go to waste, right?" I look up and see Prince Keith internally struggling with something. "Your highness?"

"I told you not to call me that," he gritted his teeth as he hesitantly stepped to the other seat before taking it. He had a look of worry on his face as he opened his napkin.

"Sorry, Keith." I'd been here only a short while, but I've been accepted by Catherine as her best friend. That lead to being on more familiar terms with the crown prince and being on a first name basis. Whenever I get nervous, I instantly go back to being formal and I know how much he hates his royal duties.

He plops down in the seat opposite me with a huff. "Eh, just forget about it." Looking over the table, it began with some sandwiches and I went and followed suit.

The atmosphere was awkward. We both anticipated having lunch with Catherine, but now we're having this silent meal together. I can't take it anymore and start some small talk.

"So, how was your day?" We spoke in unison and I can see Keith's eyes were as wide as mine. I start to laugh but his cheeks began to flush.

"What's so funny," he said, irritation lacing his voice.

I catch my breath and wipe the tears from my eyes. "Nothing. Just that we asked about each other's day at the same time." I smile at him, the last bubbles of laughter leave me. "We haven't had lunch alone before so it's kind of awkward."

He looked at me with those emerald eyes and I could get lost in them again. "If you want ...we can have lunch more often."

Did my ears deceive me? I blinked to see if the man before me was someone else but... "Are you sure? I don't wish to take time away from -"

"Look..." I could see he was struggling with his words. I dared not interrupt him. "I don't care about whether you're taking up my time or not... I'd rather it be with you can some boring meeting or luncheon with some stuffed shirts I hardly know.

He really did hate the fact he had to have those duties of his. It was what he said next that hit me. "As long as you're by my side, nothing else matters."

Am I hearing this right? Sitting there stunned, I wasn't sure what he was saying. "Y-you're just saying that because I'm friends with Catherine, right? I'm just a commoner that's sort of a friend to you by proxy of your sister, after all."

"Stop talking." The words hung in the air with a tone of seriousness. I instantly shut my mouth. "Listen carefully. I'm only going to say it once." He started turning red and I began to wonder if he was holding his breath. "I like you." Eh?! I can feel my own cheeks burning as I looked at the prince before me. I think he turned even more red. "Stop. Staring." I quickly averted my gaze to the plate before me, food being the last thing on my mind now. "Ugh! Come on..." I look up and see his brows knit in worry, lips frowning a bit. "I'm serious..."

"About me?" My cheeks heated up again and like my heart was hammering at my chest.

"Do you see any other commoners around?" He smiled as he dropped his gaze for a moment, those fierce emeralds back looking at my own. He ran a hand through his locks and sighed. "Catherine has one thing right: talking about my feelings is not my thing."

It got awkward again. Not sure what to do with my hands, I'm wringing my napkin on my lap. "The closest I had someone confess their feelings for me was at some office gathering and I think he was drunk." Looking to Keith, I see him sour at that.

"I don't need to be drunk to tell someone I like them," he said, then realized the situation we were in and laughed. "But I did need my sister to make me say it."

At that I couldn't help the laugh that followed and we both shared in the moment. "So," I said after catching my breath, "what now?"

"Stay by my side and I'll make you more happy than some drunken fool that hit on you. I mean it." Keith wore a genuine smile and I couldn't deny that it was the best smile I've ever seen him wear in a while.

"I'd like that very much," I smile back, feeling so happy at this surprise that was sprung on me. A delightful lunch with the sweetest treat of all.