🌷 𝟝 🌷

r e m i n g t o n

The first thing I notice when the princess burst through the dining hall door is her pale yellow dress, glowing softly like candle light. For a solid minute I could take a guess as to why she was late, but once I take in her full stature, the messy hair, wrinkles around the bottom of her skirt, lipstick stained teeth, I find myself struggling to find out why. She's still gorgeous though, despite looking as if she only had 5 minutes to get ready.

"Violet. You're late." Her father grips at the silver fork in his hand, and for a split second I worry that it might snap. But at least I now know the princess's name, a pleasure I don't often have. Funny how people expect you to fall in love with someone who's name you don't even know. Or maybe they don't expect you to fall in love with all. What would happen if I never met my soulmate until after I had already been wed to another?

"I apologise father, for I had little time to compose myself after being suddenly flung into a proposal that I had no say in." She waves away the redheaded servant that came to pull out her chair, and sits down casually, as if she had simply inquired about the weather instead of disrespecting her father. I find myself suddenly in awe of the yellow dressed princess, this Violet, as lovely as the flower from which she was named but no where near as fragile.

After regaining my composure, I begin to eat the feast that has been spread out before us. As we eat, the queen and kings exchange small talk, kings glaring daggers at each other. If looks could kill. Meanwhile the princess and I don't even make eye contact, staring at the food on our plates, and barely touching in of it. At this point I'm merely picking up spoon fulls of diced carrots, just to drop them right back on the fine china plate. I hear something shift, and I can feel the stunning princess lean towards me.

"If you're not gonna eat that, I will. I haven't eaten since breakfast." she whispers to me. I can hear the smile on her face.

"Well why didn't you eat before now, dear?" I reply softly, a smile appearing on my face as well.

"Because lessons took ages. Now hand over the roll, dear."

I chuckle softly and pass it to her under the table. She gives me a gracious nod and continues eating.

I think I'm going to at least tolerate this princess.

an: sorry this chapter is super late and super short, lowkey kinda forgot i had wattpad for a minute there. but i'm back for a second and i've rebranded (yet again) so enjoy it while it lasts :)

-j