Valentine: A Lucas North AU Fan Fic

Valentine: A Lucas North AU fan fic Rated PG-13

Valentine is sensual, romantic and a touch angsty. This particular story was actually inspired in part by my own hubby, who provided the lovely poetry quoted in the story for my Valentine's Day. No Copyright infringement intended; I do not own Robin Hood, Spooks or any characters. And no profit is made except for the pleasure of writing it and entertaining fan fic readers. Comments always welcome!

Marian Knighton walked into her flat and closed the door with a decided bang. She was more than a bit out of sorts. She was cold and wet from the heavy snow falling across London and there was no one waiting to warm her up that night.

It was Valentine's Day, the day for lovers, and her lover, Lucas, was away on business for the Grid.

Spies can't always take holidays - she knew that when she signed up for MI - 5 - but it was still a disappointment. It would have been their first Valentine's Day together.

Marian sighed.

Oh, to hear your dark chocolate voice, Lucas, and to feel those strong arms wrap around me, your marvelous kisses on my face, my neck . . .

She gave a naughty dimpled smile.

And everywhere else.

Lucas was a very private man, and something of a frustrating riddle to Marian. Still, there was no denying he could be a most passionate, ardent lover. It didn't hurt the man was also masculine beauty personified in Marian's eyes.

I don't think I could ever weary of looking at him. Or touching him.

She sighed again at the thought of those mesmerizing blue eyes, the delicate cupid's bow of his upper lip; the muscular chest with its bizarre tattoos, those amazing long dancer's thighs of his, and the feel of them wrapped around her . . .

Damn, Lucas, I miss you so very much.

And it doesn't help I am horny as hell.

She walked into the kitchen to drop off her handbag and keys on the counter, her customary routine. A piece of paper was taped to one of the cabinets.

Written across it were these words: LOOK IN THE BEDROOM. The handwriting was very familiar.

Lucas! Somehow he must have made it back.

Doffing her hat and gloves and shedding her coat, Marian hurried to the bedroom door and opened it.

"Lucas?" She called out. There was no response. The room appeared empty. Tamping down her disappointment, Marian flipped on the lights and saw the objects in the center of the bed. Two blood-red, long-stemmed roses lay with two envelopes atop the counterpane, while a smiley-face Valentine helium balloon hovered overhead. A heart-covered bag sat nearby.

She slide one of the cards from an envelope with "for the woman I love" written across it. Opening it, Marian read the words written in Lucas's familiar scrawl: The hours I spend with you I look upon as sort of a perfumed garden, a dim twilight and a fountain singing to it. You and you alone make me feel that I am alive. Other men, it is said, have seen angels, but I have seen thee, and thou art enough. ~George Moore~

She blinked back an unbidden tear.

Oh, Lucas, you are a sentimental fool. And I quite love you for it.

Marian opened the second card, which had "for my best friend" written across its envelope. She read its inscription from Lucas aloud:

" 'If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you've made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand'" . . . well, Mr. Anonymous, you have quite the way with words, too," Marian murmured with a wistful sigh, closing her eyes and imagining Lucas speaking those words to her in his own rich, velvety voice.