Chapter Twenty-Nine: Plans (Alexis's POV)

Start from the beginning

“So early?” he asks.

“Yes,” I say.

“What did she have to say?” he asks.

I meet his eyes. “She’s with child.”

“No,” Father breathes. “Why, Alexis?”

“New Year’s, in a moment of weakness,” I say.

“What are you going to do?” he asks. “How are you going to support a family?”

“Well, that’s what I came to ask you. We’re going to observe the proper courting period of six months and get engaged in May and marry soon after. The wedding will be small and she won’t even be showing yet. Her parents will cover the costs for the wedding, I’m assuming, as that is the custom.  But I may need help from you to cover living arrangements for the first few months or so and perhaps to help with the costs of the baby. Also, you said there’s a position at your former company open for a welder. I would like to fill that spot,” I say.

Father is silent for a moment, just soaking it all in. “Well, I’ll contact Mr. Baker for you and see what we can do about the job.” Mr. Baker is the man who currently owns the jewelry company Father worked for. “I suppose I have no choice. I can’t let my son, his wife, and his child starve. I’ll help you out for the first few months.”

“Thank you so much, Father!” In a moment of spontaneous joy, I jump up and hug him. He seems surprised, but he hugs me back and holds me fiercely.

“I know I’ve been harsh on you these past few years. I just wanted you to be the best you could be. I hope you build a happy and successful life with Adele. She’s a lovely girl, despite all this,” he whispers.

“Thank you,” I say, pulling away.

I go to school and stop off afterwards at Adele’s house. Her father answers the door.

“Alexis,” he says flatly.

“Mr. Carlyle,” I say.

He leads me inside, but he doesn’t call Adele yet.

“Mr. Carlyle, I know our circumstances are less than ideal. Adele and I both made a mistake in a foolish moment, but we have plans and are prepared to deal with the consequences. We’ll get engaged in May, have a simple wedding in June, and for the first few months, my father has agreed to help us out, but just until we find a routine and I begin to make more money. I have a potential job available as a welder at a large jewelry company that would allow me to make good money. The only cost that you will have is the wedding, as is the custom,” I say immediately.

“I suppose we’ll pay for the wedding,” he says reluctantly. “I’m not happy about the circumstances, and I’m not going to pretend that I don’t blame you a bit. But to your credit, you do seem to know what you’re doing, and Adele will be happy with you. Like I said, I’m not happy with you, but I can accept you,” he says.

I breathe a sigh of relief. “Thank you, sir. Where is Adele?”

He calls her down. I tell her that Father agreed to my plan, and she seems relieved.

Like Adele’s father said, I’m not happy, but I can accept this.

A few days later, Mr. Baker comes to visit. I explain to him my circumstances. He asks me some questions about my experience and then deliberates for a moment.

“You’re not the most experienced, so you’ll start at the lowest, base salary. But you seem to be in dire straits and we haven’t had any candidates for a long time, so you’re hired,” he says.

And for the second time that week, I breathe a sigh of relief.

In the next few months, I drop out of school and begin my job as a welder. I learn and work as hard as I can, hoping to be able to get a salary increase before the baby arrives.

On the personal front, Adele and I both end our friendships with Marielle. She mocked Adele and I for having relations out of wedlock, and called Adele a whore. She is no friend, clearly.

And finally, May arrives.

The day is May first. I bought the ring a few weeks ago after saving bits of my salary for months. It’s a small silver ring with a diamond. I even bought it from the company I work at, so I could get an employee discount.

I take Adele out to dinner. Already, she has begun to dress in looser clothes to distract from her slightly rounded stomach. Tonight, she’s wearing a pale yellow dress whose light, gauzy hem blows in the breeze a bit.

Despite the fact that we’ve both known that this is happening for months, I still feel nervous throughout the meal. I fidget and barely eat.

Then we go for a walk along the Thames. As we’re walking, I say, “Quick question.”

Then I bend down and slip the ring onto her finger.

When I get back up, she asks, “So what was the question?”

“Oh, that. Will you marry me?” I ask.

“Of course,” she says. Then she looks down at her hand. “The ring is perfect. Cocky boy, though. You put on before you asked the question.”

“I knew the answer already, love,” I say, smiling.

“Glad you were so confident in me,” she says, gently kissing my cheek.

And thus begins our future.