Moisturize your skin

*Use a paraben-free moisturizer. Parabens are preservatives that are often found in moisturizers or make-up. Some people believe that parabens can increase your chances of breast cancer. [7] Read the ingredients of store bought moisturizers for the following parabens :
.Methylparaben
.Propylparaben
.Butylparaben

*Rub vegetable oil on your skin. If you want a homemade remedy for dry skin, you can use an oil instead of a lotion. Oil is good for both your face and your body. Pour the oil onto a cotton ball. Spread it over your cleansed skin. Your skin will be smoother. You can choose many different types of vegetable oil based on preference and scent.
For your face, coconut oil, olive oil, and sesame oil work well.
For your body, you can use sweet almond oil, avocado oil, or jojoba oil.

*Apply moisturizer immediately after taking a shower. The best time to apply moisturizer is within 5 minutes of leaving a shower or bath. [10] Hot water can strip your skin of its protective oils and leave it dry. While your skin is still damp, rub the moisturizer into your skin. Allow a few minutes for it to be absorbed into your skin before you get dressed. You can pat it dry if necessary.

*Drink plenty of water. Drinking water will hydrate your body from the inside out. You should drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. It may take a few weeks for the effect to show in your skin.

Protect your skin

*Use mineral sunscreen daily. Mineral sunscreens are made from natural ingredients from the earth such as zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. They do not have chemicals that can cause hormone disruptions or harm marine life. You should use a sunscreen every day. SPF 15 works for  daily use while SPF 30 or higher is necessary for long exposure to the sun.

*Stop smoking. Smoking can damage collagen and elastin in your face, causing you to age prematurely. It can also restrict blood flow in your skin, giving you a dull appearance.

*Steam your skin. Fill a saucepan with water, and heat it until it boils.
Remove it from the heat, and place it on a trivet or dish towel. Sit with your face over the pan about 5 to 10 inches away from the steam.
Sit like this for 5 to 10 minutes.
Steaming will help open your pores and loosen blackheads from your face.
Do not steam your face more than once a week.

*Choose cosmetics made from natural ingredients.
As you shop, search for cosmetics that do not contain the following ingredients:
Butyl Acetate
Butylated Hydroxytoluene
Coal Tar
Cocamide/Lauramide DEA
Formaldehyde
Diazolidinyl Urea
Ethyl Acetate
Parabens
Petrolatum
Triethanolamine
Triclosan
Toluene
Talc
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Propylene glycol
Phthalates

When to seek medication

*See a doctor for dry skin that doesn’t get better with home treatment. Most of the time, dry skin isn’t serious and can be treated with simple home remedies. Sometimes, however, it can cause more serious problems or be a sign of an underlying condition. If you have dry skin that doesn’t get better even with moisturizers and proper home care, see your doctor. You should also get medical help if:
a)You have redness along with dry skin
The dryness causes so much itching or discomfort that you can’t sleep
You’ve developed open sores or infections in your skin (often caused by excessive scratching)
b) Large areas of your skin are scaling or peeling
*Call your doctor if you develop a rash that doesn’t go away in 1 week. Skin rashes can have many different causes, but most of them aren’t serious. However, if you develop a rash that doesn’t heal up on its own or with home care within a week, it’s best to have a doctor check it out.