6 | s e n t i m e n t

Start from the beginning

"The elevators should be functional," he said as he pushed the arrow button for the door. "We can reach the heliport from here if we're lucky."

"And if there aren't guards vying for our attention," I pointed out. I stored the book in my back compartment, covering my mouth from the smoke that was seeping through the staircase door behind us. "How do you know a helicopter will be up there?"

"I don't," was all he said when we entered the elevator.

"What great confidence," I muttered as he pushed the 70 button. Considering the fact that the entire library was burning, the elevator worked marvelously and carried us for several levels.

We had ten more to go when the elevator stopped.

I stared at the ceiling, watching the lights flicker until everything went black. "Cyrus, why did the elevator stop?"

"Why are you asking me?"

The acrid scent of smoke drifted up from the floors. "Because I think we're going to die." I slammed my hand on the button pad of the elevator, but nothing happened.

"If the power's off, do you really think that's going to work?"

"Shut up," I snapped, pushing it harder this time. No response.

I heard Cyrus shuffling, probably trying to climb the elevator wall like the useless cyborg he was.

A light suddenly came on, and it took me a moment to realize it was coming from Cyrus's finger.

Okay, maybe he wasn't so useless after all. "When did you get that installed?" I asked as he directed his finger flashlight at the ceiling to reveal a large square of metal.

"I got it installed last week. Latest tech of the empire. They really keep their cyborgs up to date, you know?"

I waited.

He sighed. "You really can't take a joke, can you?"

"Not if it's as stupid as that."

Cyrus didn't respond; instead, he proceeded to jam his other metal finger into a slit in the ceiling square. "This'll lead to the top if we're lucky."

"You rely on luck too much," I said as he coaxed the hatch from its hinges. "Don't automatically assume that we're going to be able to climb up the elevator shaft and—"

"You rely on pessimism too much. Haven't you ever heard of hope?" His silver eyes glinted from the light his flashlight cast. "I will get us out of here."

Of course he would. After we were burnt to a crisp.

The square of metal clattered down and Cyrus kneeled on the floor, jerking a thumb at his back.

I backed against the wall of the elevator. "But—"

"No buts, princess," he said. "Get on."

I flinched at the name he called me, but got on his back anyway, grumbling complaints to show him my discomfort. He lifted me into the shaft and I was met with a plethora of thick, shining silver cords. I estimated that we had gone at least sixty stories before the elevator stopped. That meant there were ten more to climb.

"Can you help me up?" he called after I got to the top.

I glanced down at his tall form. Now that I thought of it, this would be the perfect chance to ditch him, wouldn't it? I would no longer be forced to be in the presence of a cyborg. I wouldn't have to be around someone who represented everything I hated—everything that destroyed my country.

But suddenly, the elevator lurched violently and I was thrown against the wall of the shaft. "What the heck are you doing down there?" I cried to Cyrus.

"The fire! It's on the floor. I can feel it!" His voice was panicked, and something twisted in my gut. "Please just help me up there. I can't jump that high!"

At that moment, a stupid little thing made whiny noises in my heart.

Geez. How aggravating.

I forced my hand down there. "Fine."

A titanium hand grasped my glove. It was hard like metal, of course, but it was heavy. So, so heavy. Especially when I was pulling him up. Since I had trained for years, it wasn't hard for me. But still... "Ever thought of losing weight, Cyrus?"

He grunted when he got on top of the elevator shaft. "The thought never crossed my mind."

————————

A/N: Woo! Three cheers for elevators. This was really fun to write! As always, let me know what you guys think! I love hearing from you. :D

This dedication goes out to @CiuinFaoiseamh, who supported me when I was writing Seize the Day (and was an amazing theorist — way too good, in fact!). Thank you, Ciuin! :)