no good deed goes unpunished

Start from the beginning

"Hello?"

"Good morning, Juliet."

And just when she had thought she could escape him, he made himself known once again to her by his voice. Jennie had enough of his games.

"What do you want?"

"Juliet."

And the way he said her name had tingles run through her spine.

"Please, leave me alone." Jennie said it with a hint of desperation that Suho caught. She could almost imagine him smirking at the other side of the line.

A long pause of silence followed before Suho spoke again.

"I will leave you alone if you shall grant me one last meeting here in my mansion."

"You're impossible." She had tried to sound indifferent, but her voice would betray the emotion she was trying to hide from him. And he was glad he could hear her fears through the phone.

"If you don't want your lover and daughter to be buried deeper into this mess, I suggest you come and meet me here."

Jennie knew this was one of the risks she took when she chose to bring her daughter into this world and when she chose to love Jisoo. Because if she had loved no one, she would fear nothing, because she had nothing to live for, nothing to fight for, nothing to live for, and she wouldn't be afraid every moment she would close her eyes at night thinking someone might come inside the room to take Jisoo and Lisa away from her.

This was what she feared, to have them be used as bait.

"Where and what time."

"In the garage. I'm expecting to see your skinny ass in 30 minutes. Hurry, Juliet."

The line went dead. It was suicide to enter the lion's den alone, but she could not bring her family into the mess she had created even way before Jisoo came to love her. She needed to face this.

Alone.

If this was a sacrifice she should make to secure their safety, then she would make it.

She sneaked past Jisoo and Lisa before she got through the door, running to the front gate to catch a cab to Suho's house. Before the cab could reach a far distance, she looked back to the mansion, saying her farewell and I love yous that could be her last. It could be, but she would not let it.

She still had a wedding to be at, she still had to say her vows, she still had to hear her daughter's first words, she still had to see her take her first few steps, she still had too many time in this world with them both.

She would not leave his house until everything was settled, not until she was sure she was free from his prying eyes, until she no longer lived under the radar of his anger and revenge.

And when the cab stopped at his place, she had sprinted to the garage, making a loud bang as she opened the door to it. Suho stood in the middle, holding a small bottle in his palms, and a cigarette in the other. He had a dirty grin plastered on his face as he saw Jennie.

"I never expected you to come here so fast. Please come closer."

Jennie had a little more certainty to her steps as she walked towards him, determined and resolute to solve this. She had come far enough to feel the guts of fear and anxiety. She stopped a couple of feet away from him, wishing the small distance could promise even just an ounce of safety.

"Remember this, Juliet?" Suho proudly showed the bottle in the air. There was no use if he told her the truth if she would no longer be alive in the next couple of minutes, days, years. She would die wishing she hadn't come to him.