the real reason

"Jisoo can't bear a child."

Jennie's heart drooped and the cold truth bit into her womb. The offending source of discomfort slowly travelled from her ears all the way inside to her mind and chest. Jisoo couldn't conceive a child, yet here she was, being pregnant and depending on Jisoo who could have been hurting all this time. And having her husband as the father only made the guilt weigh more on her shoulders at the revelation.

"I never--how--" The bag of icing fell from Jennie's grip, falling next to the cake. She was nearly incoherent, screaming on the inside, but outside breathing a sigh.

"Now you know." Jisoo's mother stood from the stool and gathered her bag. "I would like to eat more of your cake, but I can hear the calls from Gucci and Burberry. Tell my daughter I'll be back to see her soon."

"I will." Jennie replied, trying to keep the anxiety away from her voice. Jisoo's mother walked out of the kitchen towards the front entrance. When she heard a door close, Jennie let out the breath she had held. She sat on the stool and caressed her stomach with tender affection. "Jisoo..."

"Mom, are you staying for dinner?" said a voice on her right. Jennie did not need to see who it was. She turned her head just as a fall of lustrous black hair swept past her to slice herself a piece of cake. "She went away already?" Jisoo settled herself a chair apart from Jennie, a plate in hand.

Jennie frowned as she nodded. She briefly glanced at Jisoo, and a terrible feeling slithered through her veins as she saw how Jisoo took a huge bite from the slice.

"It tastes heavenly." Jisoo swept her hair over her shoulder, and licked the remaining icing off her fork. "Never thought a slut could bake so well."

She wet her lips and turned to Jennie, once again showing her little smile. "I guess I should let you handle the kitchen as long as it doesn't bother you. I mean, especially with the baby and all."

Jennie almost had a fainting fit at Jisoo's expression.

Almost.

She just had to look away. The remorse for her wrongdoing only heightening whenever she would look at her. Jennie needed to say the words. If she does not say them now, she might not be able to. Words that should have been said the moment she had met Jisoo, but was chained by her fear and shame. But she felt how Jisoo was slowly treating her differently this time.

Jennie's eyes brimmed with visible moisture. She turned the stool so she was completely facing Jisoo. She could pretend she was not aware of Jisoo's condition, that her mother never told her anything. It would be a quick and carefree way of escaping from the anchor of guilt that was at the deepest pits of her heart.

No. Jisoo deserved better than that.

"I'm sorry." For having an affair with your husband. For carrying his child. For being a burden to you. For entering your life.

Jisoo's smile disappeared gradually as she set her plate and utensil on the counter, mirroring Jennie's position. "Sorry for what?"

"For being a constant reminder of your pain."

Jennie wasn't surprised when Jisoo's expression dimmed with confusion and annoyance. She was reducing Jisoo into fragments and little pieces, and Jennie wasn't sure if she could put Jisoo back together again.

"What the fuck are you getting into--"

"Your mother told me about your condition." Jisoo's calm and excited conduct aroused into wrath as her hands closed into fists and her jaw tightened as she leaned forward, daring Jennie to tell her what she knew. "That you could not get pregnant and--"