▪︎part fifity one▪︎

Start from the beginning

Five watched her as yet another shock went through her, something that couldn't be easy to watch. She seemed to flinch everytime. This continued on for two more shocks before something happened. Something that terrified their father.

"Lock the room! Her energy is becoming too concentrated!" He yelled, while the sound of rapid footsteps echoed in the recording. A dark mass seeped from Y/n's body, moving around like a fog that surrounded her entire body, making her small frame turn black. The chair began to creak, making chills run through her body. It was a metal chair right? How was that possible? The mass began to shrink around her, hanging tightly to her body leaving just her small darkened frame. "Evacuate the-!" Reginald had yelled before Y/n threw her head back and the mass exploded, destroying the camera and turning the video into static. The video cut out leaving Five and Y/n to process what exactly had happened.

Pogo stood before excusing himself and leaving the room, the video bringing back all the guilt he had felt that day and for the years to come. Y/n sat down silently in the chair in front of her, letting her hands drop in her lap. Five looked towards her, wanting to say something, anything to erase what she saw or make her cope easier. But nothing could be said to help her through such a life changing moment. No words could ease her pain. But maybe actions could.

He walked to her, turning her chair to face him. She didn't look up at him, keeping a pained downcast gaze focused on her hands, hands that haunted her. "Love." He said. She didn't move making him crouch down in front of her, his hands gripping tight on her thighs. "Y/n, look at me." He said sternly. She reluctantly glanced up at him, tears filling her eyes as his own stared into hers. "Why? I'm a monster, Five. You saw that." She cried. "Y/n, shut up." He said as Y/n's lip quivered trying to hold back the tears that fought so hard to fall. "You're not a monster. I don't ever want to hear those words come out of your mouth again, do you understand?" He said harshly. She nodded, the tears dripping down into her lap. He reached up, wiping the tears away before leaning up between her legs, hugging her waist. "Please, love, your powers don't make you who you are." He said softly as she leaned her head on his shoulder. "I know. But what if I hurt someone? What if I do something unforgivable?" She questioned, clutching his shirt in fear. He pulled back, holding her face gently in his hands as he kissed her forehead. 

"I'll forgive you."

•••

"Klaus, what are you doing?" Y/n asked slightly annoyed as his giggling filled the room. "I stole some of Mom's eyeliner. I'm going for that punk look, y'know?" He explained scribbling the dark makeup around his eyes in the mirror. She watched halfheartedly, before letting her gaze drop to the floorboards. Klaus noticed her sullen expression in the reflection and turned around, worried for her. She hadn't been the same since Five disappeared and he couldn't blame her. He saw how much she loved him. Of course there were the obvious things like the heart eyes they constantly had around each other or the sneaky hand holding or cheek kisses. However Klaus saw more than the rest did. He saw Y/n's occasional glances into a room that Five occupied, making sure he was still there. He saw Five eat a plain peanut butter sandwich so that there would be marshmallows for Y/n. He saw the small things that neither of them noticed themselves.

And now he had to watch her crumble before him. She was so strong, so brave, so selfless. He wished to be like her but he had given up long ago. He wasn't brave. He lived his life in fear of the one's who no longer lived. He wasn't strong. He couldn't resist a lot of the things that he knew was bad for him, always giving into the drugs. He wasn't selfless. He loved himself more than anyone and always told himself that, if he only cared about himself he wouldn't get hurt.

"Why the long face?" He asked walking over to her bed and sitting down. She sighed, "I saw him again. Today during the mission. He was standing in the crowd." She said. Klaus listened, becoming her therapist in a way. They helped each other, her making sure he took care of himself and him listening to her struggle without Five. "When was the last time you saw him?" Klaus asked softly. "2 weeks ago." She replied. "They're spanning out. That's good." Klaus said trying to give her a little hope. "How is that good?" She said solemnly. "Well, you can begin to move on." Klaus suggested. Y/n shook her head, rubbing her arm softly. "I don't want to move on, Klaus. I-I want him back." She said, almost void of emotion, numbness of the loss replacing all the pain she usually felt.

Klaus moved to lay on the bed, his head finding it's way into her lap as he stared up at her. She looked down at him, her hair framing her face beautifully as she let her delicate fingers run through his curly locks. "Did I ever tell you how pretty you are?" He said trying to lift her spirits even though it was a lousy compliment. She didn't reply, just letting herself stare blankly at his chest. He frowned before handing her the eyeliner. "Here, you do it. I'm not that good." He said trying to distract her even if only for a few seconds. She took it before beginning to darken the space around his eyes, smudging it when needed. He stared at her focused eyes, the way she pierced her lips and slightly stuck out her tongue for a few seconds as she gave him the look he had been hoping for. She then handed him the pencil, letting herself fall back into the daze she had been in.

He sighed, reaching up and grabbing hold of her hand. She stared down at him and he wanted to smile at her, maybe make a stupid face or tell a joke. But he knew what she needed right now was something he had a hard time giving her. Serious guidance.

"Look, Y/n, I-I-" He stammered trying to find the words. "Five loved you so much. I saw that every single day. He would do anything for you which is the reason you're here with us today. He sacrificed his life with you to give you a proper life here because of his mistake. I don't think he would want you living it seeing him in every crowd or the reflection in the mirror. He would want you to move on, Y/n. I'm not saying to stop loving him, I don't think that's possible. But please, live on. Live your life with him in your heart, love his memory and make your life worth something for him." Klaus told her. Her heart clenched as she felt the truth behind his words. He was hardly ever serious and here he was giving her the most meaningful talk she had ever had. She felt tears fill her eyes as he squeezed her hand softly. "Please, Y/n." He begged. Her tears lightly fell, making her wipe her face as she looked up trying to prevent herself from crying more.

She nodded, wanting desperately for the pain she felt every day and night to go away. Maybe Klaus was right. Maybe this was the way. Klaus sat up, pulling her into a tender embrace, letting her cry into his uniform. Klaus felt tears of his own start to build up and he laughed trying to lighten the mood. "Look now you're going to make me cry." He chuckled. She giggled softly, "Suffer." She laughed through cries. They both giggled, pulling away from each other. Y/n wiped her cheeks her beautiful smile, warming Klaus's heart. He was able to be Y/n in that moment.

He was her hero.