4

•The Case of the Missing Lifeguard•

(When she sees Heathers name on the wall)

********************************************
(unedited)

We reached the pool to return the bag and whistle, as I scanned the empty pool I noticed just how much had changed since I was gone. We walked up to the desk where a guy was sat reading some magazine and a girl was sipping on her drink.

"No one in the water until 30 minutes after the last strike, and don't try to argue with me, you wanna get electrocuted go climb a tree" The guy spoke up, his voice staying in one low pitch as if he'd said it multiple times before.

"Yeah we don't care we're not here to swim. Or get electrocuted" Max replied leaning on the counter.

"We found this" Eleven told him as she pulled the lifeguard bag from her pocket.

"Does that belong to anybody here?"

"Oh, yeah. That's Heather's"My eyes darted over to the man hoping he didn't just say the name Heather. "I'll get it back to her"

"We could give it back to her." I replied crossing my arms.

"You could. 'cept she's not here. Bailed on me today. What is this? You girls want a reward or somethin'?" The guy asked, I finally recognised where I knew the two from, they were in my brothers year.

"No. We're just.... Good Samaritans" Max replied sarcastically. I shook my head while looking down.

"Hey Cameron" Zoe smiled at me, I returned the smile giving her a small nod.

I turned around as Max and El walked over to the pictures of the lifeguards on the wall, I saw one person in particular, Heather. My heart dropped as I felt a little sick.

El ripped her photo off before stuffing it in her raincoat, and pulling me by my hand over to the showers. Max and I turned all the showers on so it would create a loud noise for El. She sat on the floor cross legged patching tape over a pair of swimming goggles.

Max and I sat in silence as we waiting for a result, this whole scenario seemed a little too creepy, so I didn't really know what to expect.

"What do you see?" I asked leaning forward resting my elbows on my knees.

"A door. A red door" El replied her voice only a little over a whisper. Not even a minute later I saw the goggles that she was wearing previously be ripped off her head, she sat there panting as if she was trying to catch her breath.

******************************

"Is this the one?" I asked El shouting over the sound of the thunder, I felt as if something bad was inside. We walked over to the bright red door, El using her powers to open it.

The second you walked in a family portrait was in your face. It smelt of freshly cooked food in here, I could hear laughing and music coming from down the hall.

"Isn't that cute. huh?" I heard a deep voice ask, As we turned the corner I was met with the sight of a small dining room, sat at the table was the guy from my vision, and two adults. All eyes turned to us.

"Max" The boy spoke up, I turned to look at the red head before returning my attention to the boy, so this must be Billy.

"We didn't mean to barge in. We tried to knock, but.... maybe you didn't hear us over the storm" Max spoke trying to make up some kind of excuse, I smiled at the man who was looking at us extremely unimpressed.

"I'm sorry who is this dripping all over my living room right now?" The man asked rudely, I shot him a weird look.

"I'm sorry. Janet, Tom, this... Is my sister Maxine. What on earth are you doing here?" Billy chuckled before standing up and walking over to us, "Is something wrong?"

"We just wanted to make sure everything was okay"

"Okay? Why wouldn't it be okay?" Billy asked, he sounded genuinely nice, why does Steve think hes such a dick.

"Where is she?" El asked, I mentally face palmed. Great subtlety.

"I'm sorry. Where is who?" He replied staring straight at Eleven.

"Well they're a little burnt but, I'm sorry--" I heard from the kitchen, the young girl from the picture came walking out with a tray of cookies in her hands, I looked at her confusedly stepping forward to look at her properly.

"Heather! This is my sister Maxine, And, I'm sorry. I did not quite catch your names" Billy said looking over at me and El.

"El."

"Cameron.... Harrington" I replied looking at him with a stone cold stare.

"Harrington? As in Steve? Wow...." He paused mid sentence before looking down and looking back up at me with a confused expression, "Four?"

My whole body froze as I got chills down my spine. How did he know that name. He can't possibly know that. Four died with Dr Brenner.

"How did you---?" I was cut off by El asking about Heather, I mentally thanked her for changing the subject.

"I saw--"

"Your manager, at the pool he said you guys didn't come into work today, so we got worried" Max lied. She's quite a good liar I'll give her that.

"Heather wasn't feeling so hot today. So we thought we'd take the day off and nurse her back to health. But you're feeling just fine right now, aren't you Heather?" Billy smiled, something was definitely off about him. What with the vision saw and now somehow hes completely fine.

"I'm feeling so much better." She smiled, she seemed off too, "Do you girls want a cookie? They're fresh out of the oven" She asked holding the steaming hot tray out for us. I shook my head giving a polite 'no thanks' before Billy decided to show us out.

We walked over to our bikes, El getting on the back of mine as we peddled off. I turned to look at the house one last time seeing Billy stood looking through the glass watching us leave.

How the fuck did he know my name was Four?