Lifting up the empty plate, a folded slip of paper was underneath. You wiped the corners of your mouth and set the metal utensils down before taking the note and opening it. Your eyes read over the words again, making sure that what you were seeing was correct.

Come to my room, please.

Not the secret room, his own room. You’ve only walked through it, not even spending over a minute in there. The very place where he sleeps and does his work, the only place where you know he would be vulnerable.

This twenty-two-year-old man had his own weaknesses, it almost made him seem like a child.

“I’m scared…” You mouthed to no one.

•••

The note was placed on top of the empty plate which you set gently on Ray’s office table. You walked back slowly as if you were fearful to trigger an alarm, you spent two weeks pretending to be nothing yet you still weren’t perfect at it.

The back of your leg hits the edge of his bed and you sat down, staying as still as a statue. You felt out of place, you kept darting your eyes around his room, beaming with curiosity. Looking around, you can see his personal library of books, hung grey uniforms, and a framed picture of Ray when he was your age.

There was a figure with silver-white hair accompanied by a girl with fiery red hair, her green eyes were almost mesmerizing. Emma, you’ve heard about her so many times. Ray almost calls her “sister”.

You turned your attention elsewhere.

Soon, you found yourself staring at the metal round hole punch sitting on Ray's desk as you cupped your left ear. It was a device used decades ago, it surprised you that he still had one. The silver handle and the snapping sound, you remembered everything. The single circle hole punch was terrifying.

The invention he made so long ago failed to function after years of not being used. So, Ray became desperate and turned to something else that would take that tracker out of your ear. It took a whole lot of strength to keep you still, you were practically throwing yourself around in attempts to get yourself out of his grasp.

There was a lot of screaming and crying that came from you, Ray hasn’t even touched your ear yet. All it took was for him to yell at you to remain still and suddenly you collapsed to the ground out of your overwhelming fear for the man. His hand was on the side of your face, keeping your head to the floor as Ray pinches your ear gently.

Then, a single snap, a pulse of pain flows through your body like a cold sweat. You could feel your own blood trickling down the tunnel of your ear, it was hot and it couldn’t stop. A small, blinking pod was sticking out of your ripped lobe.

A tiny piece of your ear dropped to the floor along with the single hole puncher, your eyes widen at the gruesome sight. With trembling fingers, Ray tears out the tracker, almost on the verge of crying from listening to your screams of pain.

You touched the edge of your ear, it felt like the crescent shape of the moon. Looking back at it again, the hole puncher looked different, Ray must have bought a new one. Of course, who would bother using that blood-stained device?

“I’m sorry for making you wait,” His voice is heard from the opening door. “The children wanted another bedtime story.”

Shuffling awkwardly on the bed, you felt like a small mouse in a cat’s den. Under Ray’s arm was the bedtime story, which he places in the bookshelf, the man also glances at you as he waits for your response.

“It’s okay,” You whispered, watching him make his way to the desk.

His brown shoes, black pants, grey button-up, you almost grew tired of seeing him wear the same uniform. Ray’s head tilts downwards and his black hair falls over his left eye like that picture of him when he was eleven.