Destiny's Taunting

Start from the beginning

Your lives were different, the identification numbers were printed along your upper chest while they had them on the side of their necks. The tests ran differently as well, the Gracefield kids have to sit in desks and answer a multiple-choice test using scanners, on the other hand, you are put through a holographic simulation and tested for your physical and survival skills in the wild.

It was like Gracefield had the brains and Grand Valley had the brawns. From what you know, Norman, Emma, and Ray are the top scorers in their family. You used to be in the top five, but your older siblings have left and you jumped to first.

You thought everything else was different, however, your Mamas were the same. Same uniform, same routine, same departures. They explained that their Mama has dark hair with violet coloured eyes, a kind heart, and a wonderful caretaker. Your Mama has golden hair wrapped in a tight bun with bangs framing her face, she was strict but very forgiving.

The more you learned about their lives, the more skeptic you became. There must be some sort of connection to why something strange was going on. You wrote your thoughts out in your notebook you hide behind your pillow. There was the occasional "Mama is coming", but you didn't understand why they feared her so much.

Time flew and it turns out you missed more than you imagined. You weren't being fully updated from what Ray has been writing, it was like he was censoring his words, making sure that you wouldn't know the horrific truth unfolding in their house.

While you were undressing for bath time, you started at the fogged mirror when something blue catches your eye. Wiping away the mist, you saw a sentence written along your left shoulder. The words were mirrored, you couldn't read it properly but it also meant that Ray was not the one who wrote this.

You slowly spoke out each letter, using the fogged surface to write what you were saying. The farther you got through the sentence, the more worried you became. No doubt, from that colour and the penmanship, it was Norman communicating with you. Ray must have been asleep because there was no way he would allow Norman to tell you this.

"Escape with Ray and Emma, you will take care of them, I'll be long gone."

You didn't understand, it was completely different from what you usually received. Escape was a strong word, you didn't know what they were trying to escape from. Also, Norman asked you to take care of them, how could you do such a thing when you didn't even know where their house is? Finally, what did Norman mean when he said he'll be long gone? Where is he going? Will he return? This was all so strange, but you figured that the truth will be revealed if you asked Ray himself.

November 2nd was the date when Norman wrote to you, it was also the last time he ever touched his marker again. It was like he disappeared without a trace, out of thin air. He was taken from his family and it wasn't through adoption like you thought it was.

In the morning, you attempted to communicate with at least one of them. You were so concerned about the Gracefield kids, your Mama began to notice your sudden shift in behaviour. Still, you locked yourself in the library to get answers, your friends were keeping something from you and it was painful to sit back and do nothing.

"Ray," You wrote nervously, letters are shaken.

After a while, the black ink was slowly coming up.

"Don't write,"

You shook your head, not allowing yourself to be pushed away like that.

"Where is Norman?"

No response.

"Ray?"

No response.

"Where is Emma?"