Destiny's Taunting

Start from the beginning

You still couldn't wrap your head around it, you didn't understand why you were linked to this Gracefield boy by marker and skin. Was it a twin thing? Had a science experiment gone wrong? A bonding of souls like in the romance books?

There was a tingle on your right arm and it startled you when you rolled up your sleeve. A small chuckle comes from your throat as you read over the red ink.

"I'm Emma!"

It looked like someone else's penmanship and the last letter of the name was just barely there as if Ray has yanked his arm away from the writer. Soon, the back of your left arm tingles and blue ink elegantly spells out two words.

"I'm Norman,"

Again, it was another person's handwriting in a place where it must be difficult for Ray to reach. You could tell the writer apart from one another, the girl named Emma had a red marker, Norman was using blue, and Ray, your other half, loved to use black ink.

"My friends..." Ray's words were written in the palm of your hand, making you smile a little. "Idiots..."

You had no friends to show this amazing discovery, your older siblings have left the house and are happy with their own families. Ever since their departures, you were lonely as you isolated yourself in the library.

It felt like you were sitting in the middle of Norman and Emma, it was comforting to know that Ray and his friends welcomed you so warmly. You figured that Ray was trapped between them, there were all kinds of drawings and questions appearing on your arms.

The ringing of Mama's bell was heard outside in the hallway. You sighed out of disappointment, looking down at your arms once again.

"Where is your house?"

"Do you do tests as well?"

"What kind of food do you have?!"

"It's bath time," You wrote sadly, watching the new coming questions stop midsentence.

There was another pause as if Emma, Norman, and Ray were speaking to each other after reading what you wrote. Mama was strict with bath time, she would not let you go to bed if you had the slightest pinch of dirt, let alone dozens of ink writings on your arms.

"Wait," Ray writes on the back of your hand. "Will I hear from you again?"

"Yes, tomorrow."

"Aw yeah!" Emma responds.

"Wonderful," Norman ends it with a happy face.

"Well," Ray moves to your fingers as he runs out of space on your hand. "Until then, Goodnight."

"Bye," You touched your fingers, wishing that you could stay in contact with them a little bit longer. There was no more space for you to write and you said your farewells out loud.

•••

It has been a few months since Ray has appeared on your arm, you kept asking your Mama for new markers as you insisted that you took interest in art. You never grew tired of talking with the Gracefield kids, each day there was a new story to tell and new drawings to see, only to have them washed away during bath time.

You learned many things about Ray, what his likes and dislikes are, his many brothers and sisters, and the wonderful Mama he has. During the early days, it was quite difficult to keep up with answering three questions at the same time. Norman and Emma were very curious about your life in Grand Valley.