Chapter 2, Kat's P.O.V

Kat's P.O.V

I tapped Tyler's shoulder. He was just staring at the window, his expression blank. "Tyler? Are you okay?" I asked. He jumped and looked around him as if he didn't know where he was. It was like he had just snapped out of a trance. "Yeah, I'm okay," he said. Sometimes I worried about Tyler. He had no friends other than me, and he was always being made fun of. He was my best friend, I just didn't want him to get hurt. Some of my friends had found a picture of him in my room and called him "hot", but my friends were a little nutty when it came to boys. I liked him for his fun-loving, sweet personality.

"Well, I've got  to go meet up with Dani for swim practice, see you tomorrow!" I said, giving him a hug,  Dani was my other best friend, I met her a long way back at my first swim lesson. We have swam everyday together ever since. "Bye, Mikey! I'll see you soon!" I said. Mikey briefly looked up from playing with his legos to wave to her and almost immeadiatly turned back. Kat laughed. Mikey was a great kid. I got up from the couch and Tyler led me to the door. "Bye!" I heard him say and I stepped out. 

I met Dani at the pool in my bathing suit and swimming cap. Her short blonde hair was bunched up into her swimming cap. Her blue eyes shone brightly even through the cover of her foggy goggles. I was jealous of her good looks, she even had a boyfriend, Aidan. "Ready?" She said. I pulled on my goggles. "Ready,".

We took a little swim just for fun while waiting for the other members of the swim team to arrive. Dani climbed up the ladder to the high dive, and I followed her reluctantly. I was deathly afraid of hights. Once I had climbed up to the wobbly board I looked down and felt sick with fear. The pool looked like it was a mile down. "Maybe I'll just climb back down..." I said shakily. Dani grabbed my arm. "I'm not letting you go until you jump off," she said, putting her free hand on her hip. "Okay, fine" I breathed in deeply and stepped to the end of the board until my toes were hanging off the edge. Okay, three, tw-" I got cut off by a loud voice. "Time for swim practice everyone gather round!". I stumbled, startled, and teetered over the edge. The next thing I knew I was plummeting down toward the water. I managed to let out scream before hitting the water head first. I sliced into the water like a knife and shot down to the bottom. Bubbles flitted everywhere like little white butterflies and tickled my cheeks. I smiled and twirled a round a little bit underwater before swimming up to the surface. "Hahaha!" Dani laughed. I spit the water that had built up in my mouth from screaming when I hit the water. She dove under the water, dodging my expertly-aimed stream.

"C'mon girls!" Our swimming coach, Mr. Munson, yelled to us with his booming voice. Dani and I climbed out of the water and lined up by the lap pool with the other swimmers. I straitened my swimming cap and moved my goggles just over my eyes. I bent down and listened for the whistle. I waited for what seemed like hours hunched over the water waiting for it. Finally, I heard the familiar piercing sound of the whistle cut through the silence. I dove into the water and almost immeadiatly broke to the surface. I propelled my arms through the water and finally allowed myself to take a breath. I looked over and saw that I had a good lead, but then I saw Dani. Her arms churned in and out of the water at the speed of blades on a fan. Dani and I were the best on our team, but Dani always seemed to beat me. My heart raced with adrenaline as I pushed off the wall and set off on my last lap.

Now I breathed every stroke and I could feel my arms tightening, but I forced myself to push on. For what seemed like forever, I finally reached the wall. Excited, I popped my head out of the water to see Dani just reaching the wall. I climbed out and almost collapsed with a sick feeling that rushed through me. My head felt dizzy and my legs felt weak. I swayed and had to plant my feet firmly onto the ground to keep from falling over. My vision began going sandy.