Chapter 1

*Crutchie's POV*

Pain. Searing Pain. This is almost worse than when I got polio. Them De Lancy bruddas and Snyder really gave me a good soaking. I gingerly pulled myself up the bloodstained wall, wincing when the bricks tore into the whip gashes on my back. I began examining my injuries, broken arm, heavily bruised torso, cut up back and right leg with my left leg the same painful polio-infected lump. I closed my eyes to try and escape the pain but it remained. A dull ache coursing through my body. Then I felt a piece of glass stab into the largest whip-cut on my back. A moment later paralysing pain. Then darkness.

*Jacks POV*

The ladder rungs under my hands are scraping them something rotten. But that pain is nothing compared to the pain of losing Crutchie. It's like a piece of my soul has been ripped out of my chest. He was always my little brother, the one who was always smiling, always ready with a kind word. And now he's gone. Because of me. Every one of these newsboys are counting on me. And I let them down. All I want to do is escape. Escape from this crushing feeling of disappointment. I close my eyes and start dreaming. That big old place out West. Spanking new buildings. No-one's starving. No-one's breaking their back in slavery for someone else. I close my eyes and start singing.

Folks, we finally got our headline.

"Newsies Crushed as Bulls Attack"

Crutchie's calling me,

Dumb crip's just too damn slow.

Guys are fightin', bleedin' fallin'

Captain Jack just wants to close his eyes and go.

Let me goooooooooooooooooo.

Far awaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Somewhere they won't ever find me,

and tomorrow won't remind me of today.

And the city's finally sleepin'.

And the moon looks old and grey.

I get on a train thats bound for Santa Feeeeeeeeee.

And I'm goneeeee.

And I'm doneeeee.

No more running. No more lying.

No more fat old man denying me my pay.

Just a moon so big and yellow, it turns night right into day.

Dreams come true. Yeah they do. In Santa Fe.

Where does it say you gotta live and die hereeeeeeee?

Where does it say a guy can't catch a break?

Why should you only take what you're given?

Why should you spend your whole life

living trapped where there ain't no future.

Even at 17. Breaking your back for someone else's sake.

If the life don't seem to suit you, how about a change of scene?

Far from the lousy headlines and the deadlines in betweeeeeeeeeeeeeen.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, my old friend.

I can't spend my whole life dreaming.

Though I know thats all I seem inclined to dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I ain't getting any younger.

And I wanna start brand neeeeeeeeeeeew.

I need space.

And fresh air.

Let 'em laugh in my face. I don't care.

Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaave my plaaaaaaaaace. I'll be there.

Just be real is all I'm asking.

Not some painting in my head.

'Cause I'm dead if I can't count on you todaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I got nothing if I ain't got Santa Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Hold on Crutchie, I'm coming.