1 - Banana Smoothies and Bruises

BEFORE WE BEGIN:
there will be many triggering things in this story, so please read the warnings in the summary of the book before you dive into this story, because i don't think i'll be adding in any other trigger warnings besides this one right here. i really don't want to harm anyone, so please, if you're sensitive to domestic violence/abuse and mental issues, proceed with the utmost caution or kindly click off this book :).  ok, that's all from me xD have fun reading
be sure to like, comment, and follow :)

Part One

Jorge - I went to get gas and pick up some ice cream.
I'll be back by seven. I'll get you your banana smoothie on the
way home from 
Jamba Juice. Can you make me 
breakfast, babe?
Please, for the love of god, don't burn down 
our apartment
before I come back <3.
-Kaden

There it is, in sloppy cursive letters on a yellow sticky note, plastered onto the fridge door as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened the night before. Jorge couldn't quite believe it. How could Kaden expect everything to go back to normal with Jorge after he hit him?

He was drunk, Jorge grumbled internally. He probably doesn't even remember doing it.

With a little nod of reassurance, Jorge lit the stove and set up the ingredients to make omelets and bacon. There was no way that Kaden had purposefully hit him. People who love each other don't hit each other. He'd just come home a tad tipsy, a bit too drunk from the business dinner that he'd gotten carried away with. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. Jorge worried to the point where he'd stay up every night waiting for Kaden to get home, to make sure he was safe. He hadn't slept much over the past few months, and it was showing. His eyes were becoming duller, his face paler, and his once bright mind had begun to fade. 

The smell of bacon and cooked eggs made Jorge feel better - it put a smile on his face, and motivated him to light a few candles and set the dining table nicely. Just as he was finishing setting it up, the familiar jingling of keys opening doors sounded through the apartment, and in walked Kaden with a banana smoothie and grocery bag in his hand. His eyebrows rose when he saw the setup, eyes trailing over the delicious meal and lit candles. With a small smile, he set down his things and pulled Jorge close to him.

"Thank you, Jorge," he whispered, kissing him on the nose and hugging him. "It looks amazing." Jorge smiled and tightly hugged him back, missing his boyfriend's warmth.

Instead of confronting him about what happened the night before, Jorge decided they could talk about it later. For now, he wanted to enjoy this moment with his boyfriend. "No problem - it's the least I could do," Jorge mumbled, and Kaden responded with a low hum. When they finally separated, Kaden immediately began to dig into his huge meal while Jorge sipped timidly from his banana smoothie and cleaned the kitchen. He was halfway done with the dishes before he felt Kaden's arms around him, pinning him to the counter.

"Did you eat this morning?" Kaden asked, gently turning Jorge away from the dishes to talk to him.

Jorge shook his head, smiling. "Don't worry. I'm going to pick something up from the cafeteria before my classes start." Kaden's green eyes stared closely at him for a few moments before he responded.

"How much money do you have left on your cafe pin?" Kaden questioned. Jorge began to feel nervous.

"L-like, sixty dollars..." Jorge said, as confidently as he could: but he knew that Kaden knew. Scared, his knuckles began to turn white with how hard he was gripping the countertop behind him.

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not - really, baby, I'm not."

"You cancelled your cafe pin months ago, Jorge. Why the hell are you lying to me right now?"

"Why... how do you... what? How do you know that I cancelled-"

Kaden cut Jorge off with a scoff. "You know, I thought you had stopped all this lying bullshit. It makes you a terrible person - lying, to your boyfriend? What is wrong with you?"

Jorge's eyes began to well with tears. "Kaden, I'm really, really sorry. Gracie offered to cover me when I went to her cafe, because I've been helping her out in the mornings - I just get my breakfast from there."

"I thought I told you to stop going to that whore's cafe!"

"She's not a whore! She's my best friend, Kaden, and if you can't accept that, then you can-" Kaden cuts Jorge off with a slap.

The sound of the impact of fist to skin seems to resonate throughout the room, echoing back at Jorge as he stayed as still as possible, eyes squeezed shut and jaw clenched. Like last night, this one stung. The only difference was the placement - the first, on the neck, and now, on the face.

"Finish cleaning up. I'm driving you to school. You don't get breakfast, and you most certainly don't get to see Gracie."

The sound of footsteps echoed down the hallway to their bedroom, but Jorge didn't move until he heard the door slam shut. Even then, he stood in shock. His cheek throbbed.

Kaden wasn't even drunk. Why'd he hit him if he wasn't even drunk?