"what makes you think he's really in love with me?"

george looked down at the covers. he thought about it for a moment. "just in the way he talks about you," he said. "we could be talking about... dinosaurs, songwriting, anything, and he can find a way to make the conversation about you."

she felt herself smile unintentionally. "really?"

"yes."

it was true, after all. maybe he was in love with her. surely, nothing would come of it, right? "this doesn't change the way i feel about him, you know," she sucked in her lips and moved her head in a jerky motion.

"he's heartbroken over you," george chuckled. he stared straight at the ceiling. "i hope you know what you're doing to him."

her rapid thinking stopped. "when was this suddenly my fault?"

oh shit. george didn't mean it that way at all.

"i just meant-"

"i'm not the one invading someone's privacy, am i?" she confronted. "hmm?"

"molly, he didn't mean any harm," george tried to come back from the deep hole he dug himself in as soon as he opened his mouth. "at least he even told you he read them. he was honest with you, and now you're kind of acting kind of sort of shitty towards him." he felt himself being dug deeper, nonetheless.

molly closed her mouth and scrunched her nose up. he was right, and she didn't want to admit it. it was kind of sort of shitty to ignore someone like that.

"now i feel horrible," molly admitted. "but, i don't want to call him and act like he's the victim..."

"he kind of is..." george smiled. "he won't ever admit that he likes you, just so you know,"

molly frowned. she knew his stubbornness, but she knew she was one of the only ones who could bring him out of his shitty attitudes. she'd done it before, so why couldn't she do it now?

"i don't think you understand him as i do," she said. "he bends at my will, trust me."

"our john does what you say?" george almost laughed while saying this. "no way!"

"i've calmed him down when he's gotten angry before." she told him. "it's a talent."

george finally joined molly in closing his eyes. he felt relief wash over him as the burning in his eyes went away. apparently, he was tired after all.

he took another deep breath and stopped talking. molly did the same. her mind was full of things to say, she just didn't know how to word any of it.

everything that came to her mind made no sense, yet the information she was processing made perfect sense.

every word she couldn't say, every syllable she wanted to just couldn't reach her voice box. molly felt multiple times as if she was about to say something, yet she didn't any of the times. tension rested in her head from almost saying most of the things she felt needed to be said. her mouth lay open the entire time, not knowing why she couldn't get anything out.

one thing worse than the position she was in was the position john was in. he must've felt so betrayed. he trusted her enough to tell her about his own faults. he probably thought she'd laugh it off. instead, she exploded at him, ignored him, berated him. she felt horrible.

"i have to pee," she sat up out of bed and rushed back to the bathroom.

                                               *

the shaky hands picked up the phone and dialled the numbers. he found her name in the phone book, after all.

for so long, he hid away from her. he didn't want her to know the real truth. he always knew she was special, ever since they met. the short years he spent with her, he knew she would grow up to have a good life. he promised himself he would call her as soon as possible—or rather, when he wasn't in trouble, as usual.

he gritted his teeth and forced himself to dial the last number, his palms sweaty, knees weak and arms heavy.

would she recognize his voice? would she even want to talk to him after what he did to her? would she oblige to his offer? if she didn't, what would he do then?

he heard a young woman's voice suddenly answer.

"hello?" her curious voice rang through.

he swallowed hard. "molly?"

"who is this?" molly asked. of course, his voice had changed a bit since he last talked to her.

"it's... your father."

she felt her blood turn cold without warning. she suddenly felt the memories of his soft, deep voice talking to her flood back.

it was him. her father wasn't dead.

𝐲𝐨. 𝐢 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤. 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐨𝐨𝐨𝐨𝐨 𝐦𝐮𝐜𝐡𝐡𝐡 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐬𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐨𝐧 𝐚 𝐜𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐟 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐢 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝. 𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧, 𝐢𝐝 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥𝐥 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐛𝐥𝐞:

𝐭𝐨 𝐥𝐮𝐜𝐲, 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐬𝐬.

𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐳𝐢𝐧𝐠, 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤. 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝𝐧𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦. 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐢𝐦𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐟: "𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭'𝐬 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐭. 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐟𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞. 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐚 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠. 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫, 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐰. 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐭, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐢𝐭; 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐰𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐡𝐨𝐩𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐢𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐧𝐞." -𝐠𝐞𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐞.

𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥! 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐧𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐨𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐣𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐲!

𝐀𝐋𝐒𝐎, 𝐢 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐥, 𝐝𝐨𝐧𝐭 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐫𝐲 ;)