chapter one

CHAPTER ONE: THE LAST MOVIE NIGHT

     There was a time where the Maximoffs lived in peace. Years ago, in Sokovia, they lived happily. Shops were lined up on the street, people bustling around them.

     Olive looked at a doll with a small smile, tilting her head as she looked at it. Pietro walked up behind her with a smile, putting a hand on her shoulder.

     "I've been holding onto my savings for the past few years, if you want I could get you that doll." He said, his smile widening when Olive's did. The youngest Maximoff never took anything for granted, because there was a time when she had nothing. The day she lost her birth parents, she lost everything. When the Maximoffs came in, it was easy to tell that they weren't the richest (like most people she knew), but they were willing to help. For Pietro to offer getting something so simple meant the world to her.

     Olive looked up at him hopefully and immediately started nodding her head, causing Pietro to smile. "Yes, please!" She spoke with a thick Sokovian accent.

     Pietro giggled as he picked up the doll. He put it in front of the salesman and told him that it was what he wanted. He then handed over the money and gave the doll to Olive. "Thank you, Pietro." Olive said with an appreciative smile while gaping at her doll with wide eyes, her smile somehow growing.

     "You're welcome, Liv." He replied, giving her the nickname she loved. She preferred it over her real name, even.

     The two walked over to Wanda, and she turned her head to look at them and smiled at Olive while picking her up. Wanda was young, ten to be exact, but Olive was only five. "Hi, Olive, what's this?" She ruffled the doll that was held tightly in the girls hands.

     "It's my new doll!" Olive smiled. "Her name is..." she frowned, "I don't know." She shrugged, but hugged her doll tightly anyway.

     Wanda smiled, glancing a Pietro with raised brows. She was silently scolding the boy for using his money on a doll, but she didn't want to ruin the moment for Olive, "Pietro got it for you, right?"

     "Yes." Olive said with a huge grin, not noticing the look Wanda sent her twin brother.

     "That's very nice of him." Pietro smiled at Wanda's words (he also didn't notice the looks he was getting from her-he was often oblivious to the disapproving looks he received from his family, being the troublemaker of the Maximoffs). "Come on, it's getting late. Let's go find Mama and Papa." Wanda said softly.

     The small group walked over to the food market where they knew their parents would be, and on the walk home Olive kept getting distracted by her doll. She nearly tripped as her foot hit a large rock in the middle of the sidewalk, but her father was quick to catch her before she could hit the ground.

     The scent of dust eventually came in, meaning that they had reached the apartment. It took a few flights of stairs to get to their desired destination, but they made it to the right apartment. Number 106. Then, they walked in and Olive immediately ran to the room she shared with her siblings and started playing with her doll.

     She mumbled words as if her doll was talking to the other dolls she owned, making a little world in her head. She heard her parents setting up for dinner when her siblings started walking in.

     "Mama and Papa are making dinner right now." Wanda confirmed her thoughts while looking down at Olive. The girl nodded as the twins walked into the room and started doing their own things.

     Wanda was reading one of her favourite books. She didn't seem bothered that it was one of the few books she owned. It was her favourite out of seven, to be exact.