CH 1

CHAPTER 1

I slowly arose from the sweet, sweet release of sleep, looking around my bedroom causelessly. A peer at my alarm clock informed me it was hardly 9 in the morning, far too early for a weekend. Although I was fairly dazed, my eyes adjusted to the light seeping through the blinds, and eventually landed upon my calendar. Today was finally the big day circled in messy red ink.

October 31st- Halloween.

I felt a wave of electricity jolt through my veins, and I thanked any deity that could possibly be listening that my favorite day of the year had landed on a Saturday. I rolled out of bed mercilessly for my back, which ached in disdain, and hopped into the shower for a long time. I really appreciated showering, or being submerged in water as an entirety— it's a way to escape from the dull experience of air. I allowed for the warm water to glide down my back, massaging it from my lumpy mattress.

After thoroughly drying myself, I stepped out of my bathroom to slide on a warm sweatshirt across my damp skin and onto my little body, with a pair of white skinny jeans. I looked down at them, reminiscing at the sight of a long tear across the knee. I slid across a dirty pier to get that unsightly hole, all to get my name engraved in a goddamn plaque. It was worth it though; at least for a drunk teenager at 3 in the morning. A comfortable outfit accompanied with a good memory, the most appropriate to wear on my favorite day, right? Paired with a pair of warm moccasins, which I had a tendency to wear even inside the house. It pissed off my aunt unexplainably, but that wasn't something I was exactly daunted by. I wasn't a stranger to her rolling her eyes, then turning back to the crossword section of the paper.

I soon travelled down the stairs to the kitchen, where I looked around to a surprisingly bare kitchen and adjacent living room. Of course, I shouldn't have been too shocked; it was only around ten, on the weekend. After pondering a moment of whether I had the energy to prepare even a bowl of Cheerios, I made a line for the couch and plopped down onto its soft leather. I turned on the TV, flipping through the pre-recorded garbage that was hoarded by my uncle on the DVR.

Soon after, my aunt came down the stairs, peering in at me from the kitchen. She glared at my moccasins, then at my face, heavily sighing before sitting down at the table. "It won't be much longer before your feet ruin my white couches, Cassandra,"

I rolled my eyes, thankful she wasn't paying enough attention to see my attitude. "I go by Chase, Aunt Linda. And I promise you, they aren't dirty," I demonstrated further by swiping my finger across the bottom, then holding out my clean—well, kind of clean—finger out for her to look.

"I've seen you wearing them around for the past five days, sure they're dirty. That's expensive leather dear, I'll be really upset..." She rambled on but I couldn't be bothered to listen. I hadn't had the chance to make Aunt Linda really upset, though she's warned me of being on the verge a few times. I was a disagreeable, annoying teenager, don't get me wrong. However, I was still a little hesitant to push her that far.

I sighed, and compliantly placed my feet back on the floor. From my outer vision I saw a slight smile, which was enough of a reward to commend me for being obedient. I liked smiles. Not mine, but some peoples were just fantastic.

After skipping through every possible reality TV show and hockey match in all of history, I came across Cartoon Network and the one and only "Adventure Time". The moment I clicked play, I was greeted with the almost pukeable cuteness of the romantic subplot. Finn and Princess Bubble Gum got together really close, and had a heart to heart conversation before Finn finally kissed her. My stupid, crummy, blackened heart recanted; I couldn't help but smile.