Chapter Twelve: The Chosen

Start from the beginning

"I've got an idea. Come with me," Didrika said.

They walked out of their new room and approached the Ambassadors. Gaia and Berangaria saw them and joined the group. Didrika explained making a name wall. A founder wall for generations after them to look at. The group thought it was a great idea. The Azgeda Ambassador chose a wall. He suggested that this lobby would be where the people gathered for meetings and announcements. Didrika said that was a great idea.

Didrika turned to Octavia and asked her to get Clarke and someone worthy of being the Skaikru Ambassador. Octavia sprinted off.

The Boudalankru Ambassador pulled out a chisel. Didrika proposed that they put two quotes above the names. The Boudalankru Ambassador pulled a ladder up to the wall and climbed up. He chiseled in the quotes. We Pledge Our Lives to Promote Peace, Love, and Equality. - Didrika kom Cavikru. A World in Which Violence Does Not Always Answer Violence. A World in Which Our Children Can Flourish Without the Shadow of Death. - Lexa kom Trikru. He chiseled in Wonkru and then underneath that he chiseled in the names of the clans. He chiseled in Heda, Protector, and Foheda beside Wonkru. Gaia instructed him to chisel in The Order Of The Star on the other side of Wonkru. He chiseled in the Founding Families and the Supporting Families beside the Order.

He climbed down and handed the chisel to the Trikru Ambassador. One by one the Ambassadors wrote their names under their clan. Gaia and Berangaria put their names under the Order. Didrika put her name under Heda. Didrika instructed the Founding Families to write down their family tree of only those in the bunker. They wrote in their twelve family trees consisting of the parents and the toddlers. Didrika passed the chisel to the first supporting family.

It was the woman who had informed her of the preservation of her clan. Her name was Kaylee. She was married and already had a toddler. She was from Trishanakru. Didrika instructed her and the rest of the clans to put their clan name above their family tree.

Cerberus came back as the last remaining clan supporting family had put their tree up. Didrika told her six surviving warriors - John, Solan, Radley, Cerberus, Mackenzie, Ian - to put their names down and give plenty of room to start their trees.

The only vacant spots were the Skaikru Ambassador, Protector, and Foheda. The Foheda spot would be blank for eleven years until the novitiates competed in their conclave. The next name under Heda would be Aden, hopefully.

They backed away from the wall and looked at its beauty. It was simple yet it had so much meaning to the people in the lobby. Didrika thanked the participants and the Delfikru Ambassador suggested having someone create a new symbol for Wonkru. Didrika smiled and said she knew just the person.

The lobby emptied and Didrika stood in front of the wall. John walked up beside her and smiled.

"Your parents would be so proud. You know everything the people around you did for you was to push you to become this person," John said.

Didrika fingers ran across the smooth surface of the Presidential pin.

"I think I was always this person. Somehow I think Lorelei's death made me realize what I believed in. But I think I always knew what I believed. I think it got squandered by self doubt and other people's beliefs," Didrika said.

"As a coming of age person, listening to other people's beliefs helps to develop your own beliefs. Everything you've been through has a part in your beliefs too. It just took a mature mind to combine everything and come up with a coherent thought," John said.

"You had a part in that. Lexa. Clarke. Joan. Trea. Father. Constantine. Jett. Alicia. Lorelei. Gaia. Berangaria. Marcus. Ethan. They were all my teachers. They knew I was this person even when I didn't. They added ideas to my push to make a better world."