Chapter Ten: Heir to Lorelei Kom Cavikru

Start from the beginning

Octavia stared straight forward into the crowd. She could just make out that Roan was beside her and that there was one flag left on the other side of her. Roan turned his head to her and Octavia turned to him. They gave each other a silent good luck glance and then turned back to the crowd.

Didrika stepped out and ran her fingers over the last necklace in her palm. She looked up at the crowd.

"Ilian kom Trishanakru, step forward," Didrika called out.

Ilian moved up the stairs and stood in front of Didrika. Didrika glared at him. She was still not happy with him. He had burned down a whole civilization to the ground. Didrika lifted the necklace up and clipped it around his neck.

"Accept this sigil of your clan and fight with honor as their champion," Didrika said.

Ilian shook her hand and turned to Berangaria. He shook her hand and walked over to Gaia. Gaia shook his hand and pointed to the last flag on the stage. Ilian nodded and walked past Octavia and stood under his flag.

Octavia clenched her jaw and glared out at the crowd.

"What are you trying to prove?" Octavia hissed out the corner of her lips.

Ilian turned his head to her and saw that she was determined to stare out at the crowd.

"I'm here for Trishanakru. Not you," Ilian said.

Berangaria stepped forward and lifted her head up. The crowd silenced and looked at her for instruction. Berangaria scanned her eyes across the crowd and took a deep breath.

"With the champions now chosen, today our Heda will receive a Protector through a conclave. A battle to the death within the walls of Polis. These fighters will fight until only one remains. When that warrior collects all of the sigils from the fallen and delivers them to me, they will be declared the victor. This final champion alone will tell us who is the rightful heir to Lorelei kom Cavikru. Osir koma op daun bilaik slip daun kom bleirona, ba mafta op won bilaik hef em op mou beda. (We honor those who fall by the sword, but follow the one who wields it best,)" Berangaria said.

Berangaria backed up beside Didrika. Didrika looked at her from the corner of her eyes. Berangaria could see the pain in her eyes. Berangaria nodded at her and Didrika moved her eyes back to the crowd. The spectators slowly left the colosseum.

Berangaria turned to the champions. She told them to follow her. Berangaria, Gaia, and Didrika led them to an underground training area. Gaia gestured to the weapons and dismissed them to prepare for the conclave. The champions spread out.

Berangaria turned to Didrika. Didrika rolled her eyes and shrugged. Berangaria knew that Didrika knew what to do. She was taught in the ways of the conclave if the unfortunate happened. Didrika turned away from her and moved into the shadows. Berangaria had to admit, Didrika was the best at concealing herself. Didrika was probably the best assassin made from Cavikru training in decades. There would never be someone like her again. Berangaria turned to Gaia and they sat down at the door.

Octavia stood at a carriage of weapons. She clipped a knife sheath to her belt. Her eyes scanned the other eleven champions. She saw Indra walking toward her. Octavia tensed and looked down at her feet.

Indra looked at her in concern. Indra touched her hand under Octavia's chin and moved her head to face her. Octavia opened her eyes at Indra. Indra saw determination and darkness in her eyes. Indra saw Lincoln's tattoo face painted on her face.

"Lincoln's tattoo," Indra stated.

Indra dropped her hand away from Octavia. Octavia's eyes watered and she looked away from Indra. Indra sighed deeply and clicked her tongue on her teeth.