Chapter Eight: God Complex

Start from the beginning

The radiation regulator clicked. The radiation was cleared from the chamber. The Cavikru warriors opened the chamber door and pulled Ethan out of it. Cerberus took Ethan into his arms and walked past Didrika.

Didrika wanted to collapse. She wanted to end her life. Everyone around her ended up dying. She dug her nails into her palm. She felt the skin break and blood run onto her finger tips. The world flickered from grey to colorful; the pain woke Didrika up from her suicidal state. Didrika made a considerable effort to keep her mind from slipping. She lifted her hand up and looked at her bleeding palm. She pulled a bandage from her med bag and wrapped her palm. The black blood stained the bandage. She winced and shook her head. She had to stay focused.

She flickered her eyes to Luna and Clarke. Luna and Clarke grabbed rags and began to rub the blood off the chamber walls.

Raven moved to the computer and pulled up the images from a drone. The radiation wave was clearly seen. It was red and orange and yellow and green. It was forging forward toward them. Murphy looked up at the screen.

"How's the weather, Reyes?" Murphy asked Raven, "Forecast still calling for death?"

Raven looked at him annoyed. She was not in favor of his sarcasm.

Abby and Jackson moved to a microscope and computer. Jackson straightened in bewilderment.

"Abby, take a look at this," Jackson said.

"Of course," Abby murmured.

Clarke turned to them as she scrubbed the bottom of the chamber. Didrika moved to Abby's side.

"What is it?" Didrika asked.

"Sodium polyethanol sulfonate. It's an additive used to prevent clotting. Looks like the radiation broke it down and caused a chain reaction," Jackson said.

"What happens if we remove it?" Clarke asked.

"We could save everyone," Abby said.

All of the others pushed off the wall and circled them. The Cavikru warriors came back in and Mackenzie moved to Didrika's side. He had his arms crossed over his chest.

"You could? So you're saying this can still work?" Murphy said.

"Not without testing," Abby said.

"Ethan just died, screaming in agony, and you want to try it again?" Raven asked.

Didrika looked at Raven with narrowed eyes. Raven looked at her hopeful. Raven wanted her to deny the testing. Didrika hated herself. Her people. Her family. They were all her responsibilities. She had to keep them safe even if that meant being the worst version of herself. Didrika did not have a choice. She had to test someone. She had to kill another innocent. Once a monster, always a monster. She could not separate the two parts of her. The Jusripa and the girl. Who would her friends find the next time she woke up?

Didrika slammed her fist into the table top. Roan looked at her alarmed. Everyone else seemed shocked. Mackenzie placed his hand on Didrika and lifted it away from the table. He placed his other hand on her hand too. Didrika looked at him. He saw the beauty in her brown eyes. The pain mixed with love. The coldness mixed with gentleness. He nodded at her and she felt herself calm down. Mackenzie released her hand and she looked at Raven pleadingly.

"Give us a better idea, Raven. Please," Didrika asked.

Murphy looked at Didrika, uncertain.

"So what, we go out there and kidnap a guy?" Murphy said.

Miller stepped forward protectively.

"No ones going anywhere in this storm," Miller said.

Abby turned to Mackenzie hopeful.