Chapter Seven: Gimme Shelter

Start from the beginning

"My god. Now I wish I would've stayed back with my friendly fish and waxy candles," Didrika mumbled.

"Ah, grounder feels a little out of place. Don't worry. Nothing here can kill you," Murphy said.

Didrika looked over at Murphy and smiled.

"Ha ha, John. You're very funny," Didrika said.

"Yup. I'm the cockroach with a sense of humor," Murphy said proudly.

Clarke looked at Murphy, impressed.

"You can cook?" Clarke asked.

"Uh huh," Murphy replied.

Clarke walked behind Murphy and pulled her head back in surprise. She froze and tilted her head to the side with wide eyes.

"You can read," Clarke joked.

"Yeah, I know what you're thinking, Clarke. Why are all the good ones taken, right?" Murphy joked back.

Emori walked into the kitchen and leaned on the counter. Didrika moved beside Clarke.

"Yeah, everyone loves to have a cockroach of their own," Didrika muttered.

Clarke laughed at her and nodded with approval. Emori picked up a piece of food and popped it in her mouth.

"A good randzi is rare. John would be celebrated by any clan," Emori said.

"Yeah, he's a real catch," Clarke said.

Murphy turned around with a spoon full of mashed food. Clarke looked at him skeptical. He gestured for her to try it. Clarke bit the food off the spoon. Her eyes widened and she straightened. Her face fell slack from amazement. She gasped in pleasure. Murphy smiled and put the spoon down. Emori pulled him close to her and whispered into his ear. Murphy laughed. Clarke looked away from them and sighed.

"We're gonna go get cleaned up," Clarke said.

"Yeah, let me show you where to go," Murphy said.

Murphy moved to walk forward and Emori pulled him to her side. Murphy looked at her questionably.

"Upstairs. Down the hall," Emori said.

Clarke nodded, "Thanks."

Didrika followed Clarke up the stairs. Clarke opened the door to a bedroom. A line of blue flames lit up in the fireplace. The walls were white, some marble, others an off white wallpaper. There were white couches and chairs. Oval lamps were on the desk, giving the room a spark of light. They moved deeper into the room and the lights perked on. It revealed a wall of mirrors, a queen sized bed, and a brown wall behind the bed. Clarke smiled gently. She was delighted to see a bedroom again. She turned to Didrika.

"I haven't seen a real bed since I was put in solitary," Clarke commented.

"Polis has some nice beds," Didrika added.

"You know what I mean."

Didrika shrugged and looked at Clarke. Didrika still did not know a lot about this girl. She was a great person and leader, but her past was lost on Didrika.

"Why were you in solitary?" Didrika asked.

"The Ark was running out of air. My dad was going to tell the people, but my mom told Jaha. Jaha floated him, sucked out into space. He put me into solitary to keep me from telling anyone. I would have been floated if they hadn't decided to send the prisoners to Earth," Clarke explained.

"Then I guess it's a good thing they sent you down. You never would have met Lexa. I never would have moved out of an isolated clan."

"We were humanity's last hope. Now I am again."