Chapter Five: The Tinder Box

Start from the beginning

"Octavia, you've lost a lot of blood, but you're home now. I'm gonna help you," Clarke told her.

Monty raced down the ramp with a stretcher in hand and people behind him. He laid it on the ground. Octavia tried to speak. She cleared her throat and looked over at Clarke.

"Ambassadors are coming," Octavia mumbled.

"What's she talking about?" Monty asked.

"I-" Clarke stuttered.

"The clans are coming. Army. Marching," Octavia whispered.

Octavia could feel herself losing consciousness. Clarke lightly slapped her cheeks. Octavia looked back up at her.

"Octavia, hey, hey, hey, stay with me," Clarke said.

"War is here," Octavia said louder.

Clarke pushed her head back and her eyes widened in fear. Monty looked at Octavia in shock. Clarke's face wrinkled in anger.

"How could Didrika let this happen?" Clarke asked.

"She's not. She's trying to stop it. Help her, Clarke. Prepare our fighters," Octavia said.

Octavia's eyes fluttered shut. Clarke looked up at Monty and the people behind him.

"Take her. Go," Clarke ordered.

They slowly lowered Octavia onto the stretcher. Clarke did not let her go until she was out of her reach. She was lifted up and Monty turned to Clarke.

"Start an IV, blood and fluids, and, and get a suture kit ready," Clarke ordered.

Monty backed away from the stretcher and Octavia was carried away. Clarke looked at Monty. She moved to his side and put her hand on his arm.

"Hey, I have to do this, but get Kane on the radio. Find out exactly what's going on," Clarke told Monty.

"On it," Monty said.

Monty raced off and Clarke moved in front of Harper. Harper was looking into space and had a mortified face.

"Harper, hey, look at me. Convene the guard. Miller's dad is ranking officer. If an army is coming, we need to plan our defense, okay? I'll be there as soon as I can," Clarke said to Harper.

"Okay," Harper mumbled.

Harper raced out of the hangar bay. Clarke ran forward and turned to Niylah. Niylah was standing by the table still. Niylah would be able to help her.

"Niylah, I could use the help," Clarke called.

Niylah raced after her and they bolted toward the medbay.

-----

Clarke slowly traveled down the corridors of the Ark. She had washed up before even thinking about going to the war meeting. Stitching up serious wounds took time. Octavia was resting in the medbay now. She would not be going anywhere for a while. Clarke entered the small room and was rushed by Harper.

"Hey, how is she?" Harper whispered as Clarke appeared around the corner.

"Strong," Clarke replied.

"Listen. All we need to do is spread it in front of the outer wall. Then when the army gets close-" Miller's dad said in the background.

"Thanks for helping," Clarke told Harper.

"We light them up," Riley finished Miller's dad's thought in the background.

Clarke turned her attention to the war briefing. It looked like they were brainstorming quite a lot. They were all bogged down by the news of war.

"That's right," Miller's dad said.