Chapter Five: The Tinder Box

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, they're back and we forgot to tell you," Monty remarked.

Monty walked right by her and said the phrase with a straight face. The words plucked at her nerves and her heart stung. Clarke looked away from him and bit her cheek. She took a sigh and continued walking to her friend. Niylah approached her with a smile.

"Ha yun, ai lukot. (Hello, my friend,)" Niylah said.

"Hi," Clarke sighed.

Clarke hugged Niylah and then looked up at her. Niylah saw the creases in her forehead. She was worried for Clarke. Clarke was under too much pressure for doing what was right for her people.

"How light were we?" Clarke asked hoarsely.

"Always so serious," Niylah commented.

Clarke gave her a small smile and Niylah grinned. She tilted her head to the side in a comforting way.

"Better. Don't worry. The Earth will be more generous next time. See you then," Niylah encouraged her.

Niylah placed her hand on Clarke's arm and then turned around. She gathered her things. Clarke smiled and then a thought crossed her mind. Clarke walked up to her and Niylah turned to her.

"Did you charge the radio that I gave you when you were here?" Clarke asked.

"Yes. Like you told me to," Niylah said skeptical.

"Good."

Clarke smiled and then a shout shattered her peace. Clarke looked to the voice and saw Harper running into the hangar bay. A young man carried Octavia in his arms. Octavia was covered in blood. Clarke gasped and ran toward Octavia.

"She just stopped breathing," Harper called out.

"Okay, get her on the table now," Clarke instructed.

Clarke cleared off the metal table of ship parts and tools. The young man laid Octavia on her back on the table. Octavia had her eyes closed and she was very pale. Her skin was spotted with blood.

"There's a stab wound in her belly. She's soaked in blood," Harper informed Clarke.

The people in the room stood up. Monty made his way back to the hangar bay and bolted to Octavia's side. Clarke placed her hands on Octavia's chest and pressed down on it. Concern wrinkled her face and she tried to keep her composure. Clarke looked up at the young man.

"Who are you? How did this happen to her?" Clarke asked the man.

"Ilian kom Trishanakru. I was on my way home from Polis when I found her," Ilian said.

Clarke stopped chest compressions and placed her hands on Octavia's face. She pressed her nose shut and pulled her chin to open her mouth. She pressed her lips on Octavia's and blew air into her mouth. Clarke turned her head and placed her ear on Octavia's lips. There was no air in her lungs. More people began to surround the group. Clarke pressed her lips back on Octavia's and blew in air. She listened again and blew air in again. Niylah stood at the edge of the table with a worried expression. Harper looked at Octavia with tears in her eyes. Clarke listened and Octavia coughed quietly. Clarke stroked her hair and kept in a sigh of relief. Octavia looked around disoriented.

"Okay, get her to medical now," Clarke ordered.

Monty ran off to go get a stretcher. Clarke looked up at Ilian.

"Getting her here saved her life. Thank you," Clarke said.

Octavia looked around and the only thing she could think of was Didrika's last words to her. Octavia knew that war was coming. She tried to move and Clarke put her hand on Octavia's forehead. Clarke shushed her and tried to calm her down. She tried to tell her that she was okay. Octavia did not care that she was okay. She cared about saving her people.