Chapter Four: A Lie Guarded

Start from the beginning

"Octavia doesn't need to kill people," Kane said to Didrika.

Kane turned to Octavia with pained eyes.

"There's a darkness in you Octavia. I know you are still mourning," Kane started.

Octavia clenched her jaw and stood up. Didrika looked at her alarmed. She already did not want to be called a mourner. Next she would have to prove to people that she is strong. This was the beginning of Didrika's long trip into being seduced by her darkness. Didrika would have to help her learn her darkness before it took her over. Kane snapped at her to sit back down. Octavia obliged, but Didrika hated him treating her like a child. Octavia was a respected warrior and was becoming an adult. She deserved to be talked to like one.

"You didn't have to kill that man. You didn't have to kill Pike," Kane said.

"Pike got what he deserved," Octavia said.

Kane glared at Didrika. Didrika sat up straight and made herself look dominant. Kane did not back down.

"You are advocating blood must not have blood while confusing justice and vengeance. You're a hypocrite, Didrika. You make people do your dirty work for you. You're just a girl. Your decision making process is skewed. You're corrupting the people around you. I can't have my people going rouge," Kane said.

Didrika clenched her jaw and her eyes sent daggers toward Kane. She would not be called a girl. She was not a girl. She was a warrior. She had been an adult since fourteen. Kane needed to learn respect or she was going to have words with him. Octavia snorted beside her and Didrika saw that she was tense.

"Rogue? I'm a warrior," Octavia snapped.

"No. A warrior knows when not to kill. Lincoln taught you that, but because you've been around her, you've changed. You seem to have forgotten. You're right that you have a job to do here, and right now, you're making it more difficult," Kane said.

Didrika stood up and put her hands on Kane's folded ones. Kane glared up at her. Didrika had chewed down her anger and was completely composed. Normally her blank face and unwavering gaze frightened people, but Kane seemed to compete with her for dominance.

"You've got a problem on how I rule, take it out on me. Leave Octavia out of this. Just because I have long locks and a pretty figure doesn't mean I'm inadequate to lead. I make the decisions I make after consulting with multiple people and thinking the consequences over," Didrika said.

Kane pulled his hand out from under her and sat back against the chair. He gazed distantly at them. Didrika looked down at Octavia and gestured for her to leave. Octavia got up and walked out of the pub. Didrika glanced at Kane and he narrowed his eyes at her.

"This is my city. Watch what you say or next time I won't be so tolerant," Didrika threatened.

"You aren't tolerant, Jusripa. You're murderous," Kane told her.

Didrika pushed her head back in disbelief. She picked up a knife that was on the desk and stabbed it into the desk in front of Kane.

"I'm not that person anymore. I'll see you at the meeting Ambassador," Didrika told him.

Didrika turned away from him. The knife stayed lodged in the desk and the people whispered about her exit. Didrika walked out of the pub and Octavia saw a look of hurt on her face. Octavia grabbed her arm and she turned to her.

"What? What did he say to you?" Octavia asked.

"It's nothing, Octavia," Didrika dismissed her concern with a smile.

Octavia smiled and headed for Indra's home.

Didrika walked toward her tower. The meeting was in a few minutes. She had to clear her mind before taking the stand in front of the Ambassadors. Jusripa. Of all the things Kane could have said. How did he even find out about her past? It was something she had buried away for years.