Chapter One: Cali Boy

Akeelah Welch

Life in Hawkins had always been bleak. The town itself had created a reputation for being safe, quiet, and ordinary. Everyone in town had their own certain accustomed role to play. And though the roles were different, they weren't any better than the other. Because at the end of the day, we were all just ants living in an anthill in America's backyard. In fact, the most recent phenomenon was Will Byers going missing, being presumed dead, then reappearing alive. It's been a year and people are still talking about it despite the timeline. I guess that's just how Hawkins was now, a bit strange. But little did I know... THINGS  were about to get a even STRANGER.

 THINGS  were about to get a even STRANGER

~*~*~*~

I woke up at around 7:00 — the same time I always do — on a Monday morning. I temporarily lifted my eyelids before swiftly shutting them again. It was exceptionally bright outside so I kept my eyes closed and climbed out of bed. I walked to the window and drew the curtains. The light beamed through my eyelids, and I slowly opened them. Another day in Hawkins, Indiana. 

Humphrey, my Golden Retriever, was sprawled across my bay window, fast asleep

Humphrey, my Golden Retriever, was sprawled across my bay window, fast asleep. Similar to the famous 'man's best friend' quote, Humphrey was certainly my best friend. I gave his head quick a scratch and kiss, making him yawn. Then I got my clothes from my dresser and changed in my bathroom. 

I didn't really put too much effort into the way I dressed. I was, after all, only fifteen-years-old. I decided on a navy demin jacket, pink collared white t-shirt, and tapered jeans. My hair was done in double French braids, so there wasn't much I could do with it. 

So I marched downstairs, where my so called "parents" were having breakfast

So I marched downstairs, where my so called "parents" were having breakfast. Eloise, my mother, was looking through a fashion magazine and my father, Arthur, was paging one of his co-workers. I waltzed in the kitchen, my flowered backpack hanging from my shoulder. 

"Hey, guys. What's for breakfast?" Neither of them said anything, nor did they look up from their magnetizing objects. "Sounds delicious." I snarked, grabbing some apple juice from the fridge. You'd think growing up with them would make it me used to it by now. I emptied the bottle and I rolled my eyes as I walked out the door. 

The walk to school was relatively short, since I lived only 15 minutes away. I wasn't sure if it was safe or not, but it's not like Eloise or Arthur would drive me. The only girls my dad ever picked up was the ones that hung out at the red-light district. If you wanna know why I hate floozies like Nancy and Carol, you can thank my dad's wiener for that.

I was taken out of my thoughts when a sudden honk made me jump. I turned to see a tan Oldsmobile and Tommy H. behind the wheel, Carol riding shotgun. "What's up, half-breed?" He barked like dog and chuckled, speeding away. 

"Racist piece of shit." I mumbled. Unfortunately, Tommy wasn't the only townsperson to discriminate against my biracial enthniticy. But he was the most outspoken.

I reached the school and walked across the parking lot. Nancy Wheeler and Steve Harrington were chatting in his car, and I couldn't help feeling sorry for him. He deserved so much better than her. Now, Steve can be a real annoying dick sometimes, but he's actually not so bad. He acts normal with me and treats me like a human instead of anything less. Considering our similiar households dysfunctions, he's kinda like my big brother. But he couldn't let anyone at the school know that... something about going soft and wrecking his rep.

"You don't have to watch them like that, you know." Jonathan's voice rang suddenly from beside me.

Jonathan Byers was my good friend. He too had a thing for Nancy, even though he couldn't admit it. Not even to his closest confidante. 

"I know, I know." I said tightly. "It's just... I can't stand to see them together. You know what I mean?"

Jonathan froze up like an icicle, his stare blank. Then he looked at the ground and shrugged. "It's none of our business."

"I'm sorry, Jonathan." I apologized softly. "I am just having a rough morning."

He smirked at me. "You're always having a rough morning." He teased.

"Shut up!" I playfully elbowed him, making us both chuckle.

Our chuckling was cut short when a loud car engine roared from behind us. We turned around and saw the source to be a shiny blue Camaro pulling into the parking lot. It carelessly zoomed past us and found a spot to park eschew, as if the driver didn't care how they parked. 

The ignition stopped as the car door opened. One leg popped out before the other, until a whole person was revealed. His back was turned so I couldn't see who it was. A young redhead girl also got out the car, only to skate away to the middle school. Then he spun around and my jaw dropped. 

He was the most beautiful boy I'd ever seen. His hair was naturally curly and the perfect shade of dirty blonde. His eyes were blue like an ocean, and he was rocking matching demin. He wore a silver necklace, brown boots, and a white t-shirt underneath, which brought out his abs once he put his hands under his jacket.

I felt my cheeks heat up and looked away with modesty. "Who is that guy?" Jonathan asked. 

I bit my lower lip and shook my head. "I wish I knew. He's so handsome." I squealed.

"Looks like you're not the only one who thinks so." Jonathan pointed to a group of girls who were swooning over the new guy as well. The difference was I thought he was attractive in an innocent way, whereas they thought he was attractive in a naughty way. 

Seeing them practically drool over him made me feel hopeless. Obviously he'd rather be with one of them instead of plain me. The closest I've ever come to popular at this school was when Tommy H. spray painted 'Mulato' on my locker. I thought it was a dumb spelling error, until I discovered it was actually Spanish, originating from mula meaning mule, the offspring of a horse and donkey. 

Thanks for the Spanish lesson, Tommy.

I also doubt he'd wanna hang out with a mixed girl anyway. If he's like everyone else in this town the idea won't even pass through his brain. Besides, the other girls were older and probably had already lost their virginities.

"Bunch of tramps." I remarked with aversion. 

"Come on. I'll walk you to class." Jonathan declared as he started to walk off.

I stayed put for a few seconds to watch the handsome stranger amble away. I heard the girls gossiping about his butt, and my curiosity made me take a glimpse. It was only for a couple of seconds because my innocent conscious got the best of me. My eyes traveled back to his car and landed on the license plate. PCE 235 CALIFORNIA. 

That's when it hit. "Ohhh, so he's a Cali boy."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please comment, vote, and add to reading list for updates. Thank you!