Part 1

Prologue

'Tell me the story again!' Lucetta asked, hopping down the cloister staircase one step after the other. 'The one you told last night!'

The Holy Mother turned to her infant protégé, scowling with mock impatience. She shifted the water bucket to her hip as she spoke, careful not to spill any of the suds. 'Enough fussing Lucetta, we've no time for stories. Come along now.'

Lucetta landed with a clap, smiling toothily up at her. She knew that look; the feigned severity that meant her adopted mother was feeling amenable. 'We're only scrubbing, you can tell me while we work!'

'If you had your way, young lady, we'd be gossiping on our hands and knees until dinnertime!' The Holy Mother replied, pursing her lips as she followed behind.

Lucetta giggled as she skipped down the corridor, that wasn't a no! 'Tell me, mother! It'll be fun!'

'Scrubbing is not meant to be fun.'

She span about face, robe-skirts twirling. 'Scrubbing is an exercise of humility and service!' Lucetta quoted expertly, grinning up at the stern lady. 'The scriptures don't say anything about not having fun!'

The Holy Mother cracked a smile, despite herself. 'You have a manipulative mind, Lucetta. But I suppose you're correct. Be good and you'll have your story.'

'Yay!' Lucetta shouted, grabbing a sponge from the bucket offered.

'Ssh! Good girls don't shout.'

Lucetta sank to her knees, putting a finger to her lips. 'Sorry mother!' She whispered, getting to work.

For several minutes the pair scrubbed the tiled floors of the cathedral cloisters in silence, wiping away the grubby footprints from the marble and sandstone. Dazzling light streamed through the stone arches lining the corridor, which ran around the pleasant lawns of the central courtyard. Today was rest day so the cathedral of Lorne Mire was calm, the only sounds the distant laughter and cries of the city proper. Sometimes Lucetta wished she could be out playing with the other children, but for now she laboured happily on her hands and knees, making a game of her work. Dragging the sponge back and forth in rhythm she hummed tunelessly to herself, smiting imaginary monsters with every stroke. Take that, bad monster! She refrained from roaring and shouting out loud this time, feeling content in the knowledge that silence would be rewarded with her mother's exciting story. She had lain awake hours after bedtime last night, replaying every word in her head over and over until exhaustion took her.

After the first few feet had been scrubbed to perfection, the Holy Mother finally spoke. 'It all began with a flash of light.' Lucetta turned to listen, still scrubbing, mouth agape with wonder and excitement.

'Hundreds of years ago our city of Lorne Mire stood at the front of a mighty war. Great armies gathered here to fight an evil foe known only as 'The Forgotten'.'

Lucetta gasped. 'Were there lots of soldiers? Who were The Forbidden?'

'The Forgotten.' The Holy Mother corrected patiently, 'And we know only that they were unholy beings of great power. No books were written of them, somewhat fittingly. As for your first question, there were thousands of soldiers!'

'Thousands!' Lucetta cooed, 'Were there other cities too?'

'Yes, there used to be dozens of cities!' The Holy Mother said, leaning inwards conspiritally. 'Some even bigger than Lorne Mire!'

Lucetta listened raptly as her mother continued, mouth hanging open. 'Anyway, the Forgotten War lasted many years and it seemed for a time that we might not win, even with all those soldiers! Isn't that scary?'