'Please, don't do this. Just let us take your livestock, you don't even eat meat anyway,' Bruni tried to persuade him.

'There are only a few cows, goats and sheep left and they are for milk. I cannot give them to you,' Thranduil stated. 'I know winter is tough, but I cannot let my people starve. Unless you want Orc and spider meat, I have nothing for you.'

'I'm back,' Culthien interrupted. She was holding a plate of steaming hot tea and some beautiful vegetable dishes.

'Thank you, Queen,' Bruni said eagerly rushing towards the tea, but Culthien hurriedly placed the tea aside as Nadin passed out due to sheer exhaustion, but this was the worst place to pass out.

He fell down the cliff towards the icy water only as Thranduil and Bruni turned around. Culthien raced towards the edge and dove after Nadin as he smacked into the icy rush.

'Nana!' A little voice erupted from a nearby tree.

Legolas had been watching the whole time.

Both Thranduil and Legolas watched in horror and Nadin clawed around in the water and Culthien stiffly swam up behind him as they were both carried away by the current.

Thranduil, Legolas and Bruni began to run along the edge of the cliff beside the rushing river.

'Swim!' Bruni called out to Nadin.

'I can't swim!' He shouted, and he soon went under.

'Nana!' Legolas called out in horror.

Culthien caught up to Nadin in the water and dove down into the icy depths to retrieve him. But she didn't resurface.

'Culthien!' Thranduil shouted helplessly from the side, removing most of his robe.

Soon Culthien resurfaced further downstream, spluttering water everywhere and being half drowned by Nadin who was trying to keep his head up.

Thranduil dove in next and Legolas screamed in horror. 'Ada!'

Downstream, Culthien and Nadin were being carried away further, but Nadin was pushing Culthien down so she couldn't resurface. Thranduil was close.

With one final push, Nadin shoved Culthien under the water, breaking her ankles, and he clawed onto a stray branch.

By the time Thranduil caught up to Culthien, Nadin was out of the water and her lifeless body began to sink. Thranduil screamed amidst the roar of the water and Legolas stood and watched in horror.

Thranduil dove to retrieve Culthien and Bruni traversed the cliff to retrieve Nadin.

When Thranduil resurfaced, he coughed and spluttered white his teeth chattered and his body began to lock up. He was holding Culthien and her head was limp in the water as Thranduil searched for something to grab.

A tree finally presented itself and Thranduil hoisted himself and Culthien onto it and he dragged her up the cliff to flat ground.

'Culthien?' He whimpered as he laid her down, holding her cold face in his hands. Water dripped from his face onto hers and he shivered in his wet clothes.

Legolas couldn't move, all he could do was watch.

'Culthien, please, please don't leave me!' He cried, 'Goheno nin! Dartha pel-nin! An ngell nîn! An ngell nîn!' (I'm sorry! Stay with me! Please! Please!') Thranduil begged. But she didn't move. Her lips were purple and so were her eyelids. Her creamy hair lay tangled at her right and her purple robe hugged her skin.

She was dead.

Bruni stepped closer to Thranduil. 'King Thranduil, I'm so-'

'LEAVE!' Thranduil shouted in his anger. 'You did this! LEAVE NOW!'

'I'm so dearly-'

'LEAVE. NOW!' He shouted with tears in his eyes, but they did not quench the fiery hatred burning inside his eyes.

Bruni was terrified so he carried Nadin away as fast has he could.

Thranduil turned away from the dwarves in disgust, he could never forgive them for what they had done, ever. They could starve to death for all he cared.

'Oh Culthien...' He whispered, with his head resting on hers. He then heard a sniffle from beside him. Then full on sobbing.

Legolas collapsed beside him and held Culthien's cold grey hand.

'I never got to tell Nana how... How much I loved her...' Legolas whispered with his voice croaking.

Thranduil did not look up, but he managed to mumble something before the guards came.

'I didn't either.'

- Well... Hope you enjoyed? I don't know, felt something? I don't know, you're not really supposed to enjoy reading things like this... Vote if you liked the story, means a lot to me. And also comment with some feedback or anything you think about this.

Three more stories left... Hope you keep reading.

I guess this can explain why Thranduil and Legolas hate dwarves so much...

Thank you to dearest Sam for this little idea.

Madi