[05] SECRET AGENTS!

Start from the beginning

They stared at the distance between them and the water. No one volunteered.  

"I'll go," Said someone behind them.
Verity turned and saw Beverly, noticing how the other girl had cut her hair. She always looked pretty before, but damn, she's gorgeous now, she thought, giving the redhead a smile.

Bev unbuttoned her floral dress, dropping it on the grass as the boys gaped at her. "Sissies," she laughed, running past them and leaping off the edge. 

"What the fuck?" Richie yelled, already magnified eyes widening comically. "Aw holy shit, we just got shown up by a girl!" 

"Two girls," Verity corrected, taking a running jump after Beverly, her fit of laughter whipped away by the wind as she sped closer to the surface of the lake. She hit the water, and for a moment, everything stopped. She allowed herself to remain for a second or two, spellbound at this new world; the sounds were muffled, peaceful, and crystalline bubbles spun and danced in the current, tickling her bare skin. She surfaced, brushing her soaked hair from her eyes and laughing at the boys' astounded faces peering down at them.

Feeling the other girl's eyes on her, she swam closer to Bev, treading water as she offered her a shy smile. "Beverly, right? I'm Verity," she introduced herself. 

"Well, nice to meet you, Verity," the redhead returned the smile, blue eyes glittering in the light that bounced off the water. "You're the one who takes the photos for the paper, right?" she asked, and the other girl nodded. "Wow... I've seen a few of them, you're really good!" 

Verity blushed, bashful. "Thank you... Your hair looks gorgeous, by the way," she said, listening to the boys bicker overhead. "It really suits you,"

"Oh- thank you," Beverly said softly.

They gazed upwards, watching in amusement as Bill inched towards the cliff's edge, before jumping. He hit the water beside them, and one by one, the boys followed suit, landing in the water in a series of spluttered yelps and curses.

"You're such pussies," Verity sighed, watching as they splashed around, relieved they 'survived'.

Eddie turned in the water, searching the current with a frown. "What was that?"

"It touched my foot, right over there!" Richie said, eyes tiny without his glasses.

"It's a turtle!" Bill laughed. 

"Poor thing, touching Richie's foot like that," Verity joked, making Richie splash her in the face.

"Shut up!" 

She spat water out of her mouth, dark hair completely obscuring her face as her friends laughed. "That's it, you little shit," she swam over to him, trying hard to glare despite the giggle trying to escape her lips. 

"Rich, you'd better run," Bev shook her head, chuckling at the pair, but it was too late. Verity disappeared under the surface, and next second Richie was dragged under with a scream, drawing more laughter from the group. 

Soon enough all of them were splashing around, joking and pushing each other under. 

Verity watched as Stan floated on his back, serene in comparison to the hoots of laughter coming from the others. She glanced at Richie, the two sharing a look before creeping closer to their friend. Once they were close enough, Richie held up his fingers, one, two, three. On three, the pair splashed, sending a wave toppling into Stan that sent him flying. 

He emerged from the water, curls plastered to his forehead, mouth hanging open as his friends lost it. "Verity Elizabeth Summers!" he exclaimed, sending them into a fit of giggles.