"Wait...so what about aunt Glinda?" I asked.

Lazarus shrugged, "Either there isn't enough Vamp in her to affect her procreative abilities, or her mate died before they could meet."

I hoped that it was the latter.

Taking a deep breath, I tried to assimilate all the information I learnt.

"Why don't I remember you? I don't have any memories of you...I just have a mental picture that's almost...peripheral in nature. If I try to look for it, I can't recall it. Why?" I asked, my eyes meeting my biological father's eyes.

"I did that," he said and I waited.

Getting annoyed that he didn't elaborate, I asked, "What did you do?"

"I have an ability to lock memories. They aren't gone...just inaccessible by you. Whenever you try to retrieve that particular memory, you either forget what you were looking for, or you get distracted by something else." He said.

Nice. How come I don't have anything like this? I wanted to pout.

You don't need anything like that. You're perfect just the way you are.

Clearly I had a dedicated cheerleader.

Kiel chuckled behind me, placing his lips against my temple. His breath brushing the short strands there.

"Did you do that because you didn't want me to remember you?" I asked.

He shook his head, "Your mother and I decided that we'd keep you in the dark about my true identity while you were a child so that you don't accidentally tell anybody about us. But I guess...I never got time to remove it."

"Remove it." I said, straightening my shoulder, "I don't see why it needs to be here anymore. Remove it."

Lazarus took a deep breath, "I will. But we haven't finished talking."

"I'm the one who sent people to save you from Malcolm," the word came out like a growl.

Sent people to? Was it too much for him to come?

"Why?"

I could feel surprise radiating from both my mate and my mother's mate.

Lazarus's brows drew together, "What do you mean why, Kiera?" he asked, his arms crossing.

"As I'm sure you've figured out, I'm your fa-"

I held up a hand to stop him.

"Yes, but why after so many years? You could've come into my life ages ago, but you didn't, so why now?"

Lazarus looked like he was lost for a second, before schooling his features.

"I don't know what you want me to say, except that the time had come."

I let out a bitter laugh. "And you decided that this 'time' had come?" I asked, quoting the air with my fingers when I said 'time'.

Lazarus's eyes steeled over.

"Kiera, you don't understand the kind of scrutiny you'll be put under if I had come into your life earlier. I'm was the Heir to the throne of the Vamp Kingdom and am now King, which puts Kiel's father under me as he governs a small province. Anyone can attack you at any time to get to me. I shall not reveal our relationship to anyone."

Way to make a girl feel special.

"Were you hiding all these years?" I asked, my voice low and hoarse.