i promise

summary: you arrive at winterfell, but lyanna's death leaves you with an alleged bastard with her brother and the new king without a bride. you plan on keeping the promise you made to protect jon, but your family has other ideas.

She's exhausted from the night before, having gotten barely any sleep in the past two weeks

She's exhausted from the night before, having gotten barely any sleep in the past two weeks. It was one thing she hadn't had to experience when her siblings were born—she had been three years old when Cersei and Jaime were born and could sleep through anything, then seven with Tyrion and she was sent to Dragonstone to be with the then-Queen Rhaella shortly after. But with Jon, she didn't know how little babies could sleep through the night and then sleep so much during the day.

Y/N held her head in her hands, resting her eyes for the time the baby was with a wet nurse. Catelyn Stark had her own chastising whispers on why can't she feed her son herself? Her son, never Ned's.

She overheard her with Ned a few nights ago, and Y/N couldn't counter it. She should have been able to feed Jon herself, yes, if she had actually been pregnant with him instead of pretending he was her son.

After everything in Dorne, she needs to worry about herself too.

That's what Ned responded with. Y/N left soon after, hurrying back to baby Jon asleep in his crib. She hadn't seen Ned or Catelyn since, not like it hard to avoid Catelyn. The woman would glare at her for ten seconds and then walk away. Most likely to care for her own son, Robb.

"Milady?" Jon's nurse asked gently, knowing Y/N hadn't gotten much sleep. Y/N hums in response, not moving her head from its position. "Do you need me to put him to bed?"

"Please," Y/N mumbles.

She can hear the nurse move around the room, her skirts swish against the wooden floor. Jon babbles as she puts him in the crib, but is silent after that. The door creaks open, "milord," the nurse bows her head and leaves.

Her word makes Y/N look up, "Ned," she greets, "he's asleep. Try not to wake him, please." Y/N knows he won't wake him. Ned's nickname is the Quiet Wolf, no such movement from the door will wake their son. If he moves from the door at all. He's dressed casually, in less layers than Y/N who isn't used to the cold of Winterfell. His hair is pulled back as it was before, he almost looks the same. No war armor, no blood on his clothes, but other than that the same.

"A raven came for you."

Y/N furrows her eyebrows, turning to face Ned better without having to move from her seat. "Who sent it?"

He doesn't answer, just walks over and sets the rolled paper gently in front of her. Y/N takes it before it touches the table. Her finger runs over the cold wax seal with her family sigil to shape it.

The Lannister letter Y/N never wanted to have sent.

Ned's eyes are still on her as she tears the wax circle from the page. He watches her eyes skim the page and stop once she reaches the name who sent it.