promise me

summary: the things you and ned told the world that happened at that tower weren't entirely true. but lies to keep a promise are both honorable and not.

 but lies to keep a promise are both honorable and not

Dorne was warm. She knew this long before she'd ever been to the kingdom, and long after she had entered it. But then, trapped in a tower, the highest room her friend could find, the heat was beginning to be unbearable.

She wasn't meant to be there, neither was Lyanna. But Y/N had been friends with the prince since they had met, and it had grown to be a stronger bond when she was eight and became his mother's ward. Her father had only encouraged the friendship, Lord Tywin hoped the prince could develop feelings towards his daughter and make her his queen.

The prince went on to marry Elia Martell, and Y/N found herself with no romantic interest in the prince. She would remain by his side, no matter his feelings towards her. She would watch as Elia gave him a daughter, and how she would later bear a son.

The tourney of Harrenhal was the last time she felt at peace—or perhaps the one before that when her younger sister, Cersei, convinced her to visit Maggie the Frog. The future she spoke of was nowhere near pleasant.

"Y/N?" It was Rhaegar's voice that broke her thoughts. She turned from the window to see him dressed in the same armor he had on when he brought her and Lyanna here. "What are you doing?"

"I could ask you the same thing," she motions to the Targaryen sigil on Rhaegar's chestplate. "What happened?"

"My leadership has been requested at the Trident," Y/N nods, and in true Lannister nature doesn't ask the questions that come to her mind, only pretends to know the answers, "my father gave the order."

Her stoic expression twists into one of concern. "You can't go."

"Y/N—"

"You can't go. You can't keep us here in this tower for months with no word on what's happened and suddenly be needed in the Riverlands in war armor!" She stands, beginning to walk closer to him. "Your father is not the same man he was years ago. His mind is something else. What could he need you for?"

Rhaegar turns his behind him. He hasn't moved from the doorway of Y/N's room. She knows where he's looking. Lyanna's room—his room. "Robert Baratheon has declared war. After Lyanna left with me, her brother Brandon and her father went to mine seeking justice. Rickard demanded trial by combat and my father's champion was wildfire."

How could he know that? We've been here for months, no possible contact with anyone outside. How could he know this?

She must have let her thoughts slip through her lips, because the prince gave her and answer: "one of the guards sent me a raven."

"Who?" Y/N asks, but she knows he won't tell her that way. "Jaime?" Her throat goes dry and the thought of her younger brother acting as a spy. He may be a great knight, but he isn't the best Lannister at lying.