[04] A BAND OF ROOKIE THIEVES

Start from the beginning

Just as Verity was gearing up for her fainting fit, a familiar red-haired girl turned the corner, an anxious expression on her freckled face.

"Y-you okay?" Bill asked, causing her to frown.

"I'm fine. What's wrong with you?" Beverly Marsh said hastily, and Verity could just make out the tampax box hidden behind the other girl's back.

"None of your business," Stan muttered quickly, earning himself a nudge from Verity.

Eddie glanced around, afraid they'd be overheard. "There's a kid outside, looks like somebody killed him."

"We need some s-s-supplies, but we don't have enough money." Bill admitted.

Beverly was silent, obviously forming a plan. "Do exactly as I tell you, and wait for the signal."

Leaving the others in speechless awe, the Marsh girl sauntered up to the counter, effortlessly striking up a conversation with Mister Keene.

"He gives me the creeps," Verity whispered, shuddering slightly as the man ran his eyes over Bev, a lecherous grin on his face. "No wonder Gretta's such a bitch."

She felt slightly bad for Gretta, the school's notorious mean girl. What was it like to have a father who couldn't keep his eyes off the young girls who frequented his store? Verity tried to avoid the pharmacy at all costs, but there had been a few instances where she had been forced to enter the shop, always feeling uncomfortable under the gaze of the withered Mister Keene.

Beverly had now artfully knocked over one of the brightly coloured displays that topped the counter, causing the man to duck out of sight as a string of hurried apologies spilled from her lips.
She turned to look at the boys and Verity, motioning for them to run. And run they did; but only after Eddie had knocked into a shelf, causing Bill to barge into him in his haste.

-

They were now huddled in the alley, eyes round as they watched Eddie work with the precision and skill of a doctor.
Verity and Stan were leaning against the graffitied wall, her head resting on his shoulder.

"Just suck the wound!" Richie exclaimed, his comment obviously pissing Eddie off.

"I need to focus right now!"

"Oh, you need to focus?"

"Yeah, get my bifocals. They're in my second fanny-pack." Eddie said, a hint of exasperation in his voice.

"Why do you have two fanny-packs?" Stan asked, making Verity chuckle.

"Guys, I said I need to focus!" Eddie scolded.

"Damn, I didn't know Eddie was so good with this stuff," Verity said admiringly, watching in disbelief.

"Yeah, he's got a lot of experience I guess." Stan replied, giving her a meaningful look.

"You have to suck the wound before you apply the bandage, this is 101!" Richie said loudly.

Eddie shook his head. "You don't know what you're talking about."

Verity turned and saw Beverly walking towards them, closely followed by Bill.

"Are you alright? That looks like it hurts." Bev asked worriedly, eyes on Ben.