"I push out and you come right back"

Start from the beginning

"What about Cami?"

"You're right!  I'll just ditch them when we get there. Now I have to think of a costume." Frankie took out a notebook and started brainstorming.

Just after the bell rang for class to start someone stomped into class. Frankie was still writing god knows what, she didn't even notice him, the new guy. Steve looked around the classroom, great, the only seat open was at the seat next to Frankie.

"Oh, you must be our Californian." The teacher smiled he kept a cold expression. "This is Billy Hargrove, be nice and welcoming. You can take the seat next to Dylan Monroe." He said nothing and made his way to his seat.

"Think you can take me shopping later?" Frankie turned to look at Steve.

"You just completely ignored his introduction." He shook his head.

"I said he was hot, not that I was interested." Frankie rolled her eyes. "Yes or no?"

"Yeah, why not?" He shrugged.

"Hey," Billy took off his sunglasses. "I've seen you."

"Probably, small town," Frankie said bored.

"At that party a couple of days ago, you had a mint green sweater on your arm," Billy recalled.

She sighed and looked at him, woah. She looked him up and down with an expressionless face, but she was impressed.

"Hmm, I guess I remember you, long night." She was about to go back to her notebook.

"You left before the party started even got started." He checked her out with a smirk.

"Look, buddy, she's not interested in whatever it is you're sellin'." Steve butt in.

"And who the hell are you?" Billy asked annoyed.

"Mr. Harrington, Miss Wheeler? Is there a problem?" The older woman asked.

"No, Mrs. Patterson," Steve grumbled.

"Harrington? Then you must be King Steve." He scoffed and then chuckled, analyzing Steve with an unimpressed expression. His blue eyes fell back onto Frankie. "That means you're Frankie, I've heard a lot about you two."

"I really don't feel like getting yelled at by an angry old lady today so do you think we can finish this up later?" Frankie asked with a fake smile.

"Of course, gorgeous." He winked at her before pulling his sunglasses over his eyes.

Frankie had two drawing and painting classes, fourth period and sixth. Two hours of her where she could actually enjoy herself. So she thought.

Sitting in front of her canvas, poking and prodding inside her mind for inspiration, she was startled by Billy stomping into the room. He spotted her almost immediately and began to walk towards her.

The teacher was younger, in his early 30's, Mr. Rupert and he loved Frankie's work. Mr. Rupert stepped in front of Billy.

"You know Frankie? Billy Hargrove, yes?" Mr. Rupert said through his accent.

"Uh, Yeah." Billy lied.

"Great, she can help you get started." He realized he hadn't asked her. "Unless Miss Frankie doesn't want to."

"Of course, I'm always willing to help," Frankie reassured her teacher.

Billy was looking at her like a lion looks at his dinner. Frankie rolled her eyes with an exasperated sigh, stupid boys.

"Must've my lucky day or somethin'." Billy sat on the stool next to her.

"Let me guess because you get to be next to me?"

He chuckled, he liked her.

"How about you set up your easel and I'll think about speaking to you again." She went back to her basically empty canvas.

She looked at the blue splotch of paint, what was she going to make?

"Done," Billy spoke up.

"Come on," she walked towards the supply area. "Here's your pallet and here are the paints. Knock yourself out. The assignment is on the board, don't bother me unless you absolutely have to."

"Fears?" Billy asked as he squinted at the board.

"Better start digging." She patted his shoulder.

"So what are you painting then, Picasso?" He looked at the blue paint curiously.

"Guess you'll have to wait and see." She shrugged. "And don't worry, I know. It's getting scrapped." She took her canvas off its easel and went to get a new one.

He didn't bother her the rest of the period, she was so into her work. He didn't even touch the paint, what was he supposed to make?

He looked around at everyone else's canvas, some were good, others weren't. He saw someone who had painted a murder of crows and nodded his head, creative. The bell rang and Frankie started cleaning up. He couldn't figure her picture out, it was a weird close up of something. It was weird but he couldn't tear his eyes from it, definitely something from nightmares.

She left to dump her water and decided to talk to her again.

"Lunch next right?" His deep voice startled her.

"Yeah," she finished cleaning her area.

"So what are the plans?" She looked at him like he was crazy. "Why don't we go have some fun?" He winked.

"Well, I'm going to meet Steve and Cami in the cafeteria and try to avoid you for the rest of the day. I don't know about you." She looked at him. "And I have plenty of "fun" no thanks on that offer." She rolled her eyes and pushed past him as she walked out the door.

•••

"The new guy is a dream," Cami said in awe.

"Very persistent," Frankie replied and sat at their usual table.

"You talked to him? I don't even have one class with him." Cami pouted.

Steve came to the table with Nancy. "Hey, Frankie." Nancy smiled.

"Hey," she smiled back.

"Talking about Billy?" Steve asked with a disgusted look.

"Cami was, now we're not," Frankie said and Cami scoffed.

"Frankie, can we raincheck on our after-school plans? Kinda forgot we have a dinner today." Steve pointed to Steve and Nancy.

"No problem, what are you two love birds up to?" 

"It's the dinner." Steve leaned in.

"Oooh, Yeah ."