Chapter 4: First Day of School

        I slept very restless that night. I had so many nightmares that I could not stay asleep. My dreams were tormented by my family. I know Professor Stanley said that no matter what my family would have died but I couldn’t help but think it was my fault. Without my stupid powers they would be alive. The following morning I was already awake when Michelle got up. She got up at 6:15. She jumped down off her bed and went to wake me up. She squeaked when she realized I was already awake. I chuckled at her.

        “Sorry Michelle! I probably should have warned you that I was awake.” She just shook her head and grabbed some clothes. I followed suit. When Michelle was ready she led us to the bathroom. She showed me how to turn the water on and off, and where to get the shampoo and conditioner. Another girl was in there and she explained that we all use the same stuff so no one can fight over it. There were dispensers in each shower. Kind of like the soap dispensers you would see in a public restroom except ours were built into the wall itself. It was pretty cool.        

        After taking our showers and getting ready for school Michelle led me to the cafeteria. As big as the school was it was rather easy to find. Michelle brought me through the line and we got our breakfast then we sat down at a nearby table. She took out a spiral notebook from her backpack and we ‘talked’ for a few minutes while we ate. After a few a shadow came up behind me then sat down next to me. I looked over to look into the most gorgeous gray eyes I had ever seen. They were a mix of storm cloud gray and silver. They were set into the face of you guessed it…Caleb.      

        “So you’re the new girl?” He asked when he sat down. He smiled at Michelle. “Hey Chelle how you doing this morning?”

        Michelle smiled at him. He looked at me. “Why yes, yes I am.” I said.

        “Well I’m Caleb!” he said smiling widely.

        “Nice to meet you Caleb, I’m Astrid!” I said smiling back.

        “Well that’s a different name.”

        “My father was Greek and he wanted us to share in the Greek heritage. So we all have—had, Ancient Greek names.”

        “Well isn’t that interesting?” I heard from behind me. It was Vinessa. Caleb looked annoyed for a second then he masked it with a smile.

        “Isn’t it V?” He asked. By the look on her face she did not like to be called ‘V’ but she wouldn’t tell him that.

        “Oh yeah, definitely.” She said forcibly. “But Caleb I thought you were going to sit with us today?” she asked pouting.

        “I am but I wanted to meet my sister’s bunkmate in person and I was checking on my sister, that’s not a problem is it?”

        “Oh of course not, silly!” She said trying to stay on his good side.

        “Good. Now why don’t you go and save us some seats and I will be right over?” He asked her smoothly.

        “Okay, I’ll see you in a few minutes then.” She said kind of sad. Then she walked away.

        “God I can’t stand her.” He said once she walked away.

        “Then why do you hang out with her?” I said. Michelle looked at him kind of incredulously.

        “I think you two can figure that one out.” He said winking.

        Michelle wrote on the paper and showed it to him. He looked at her like she grew another head. “Michelle! I can’t believe you just sad that.” She showed me what she said.