Chapter 01: I Should Tell You...

Wherein Max and the reader, who have been friends for years watch RENT like a couple of broadway babies. Little does the reader know, that while it's very different from what Roger and Mimi need to tell each other, Max has something he should tell her. Date: Max's 30th birthday, 4/19/2014.

It was just another night of watching musical-based movies with your best friend of five years, Maxwell "Max" Heller. Or so you thought, at least. Truth is, both you and Max had felt more than just best-friend-love well up whenever one smiled, laughed, or did anything, at this point. In other words, Max loved you, as more than a friend, and wanted to tell you without imploding. So, what better excuse did he have to talk to you about year-old feelings than something you always did, ever since you met-watch musicals like the broadway babies you are. Dorks-I say that because I know the struggle...Anyway, on with the plot. Max didn't know this, but at some point, you planned to tell him you felt the same. You saw the way he looked at you, and undeniably saw the way you looked at him, so why not go for it? Because there's always a chance you misjudged that stare as longing, there's always a chance he'd found someone better-oh whatever. You were set on telling him tonight.

Timeskip because I'm lazy-you and Max are at the scene in the movie adaptation of RENT, I Should Tell You.

I should tell you, I should tell you

The words of the actors rang through your heads-both yours and Max's that is, as some sort of sign...go for it, why don't you? Well, you couldn't. Max beat you to the punch. "On that note, Y/N, there's something I should tell you..." He started to say, sounding...nervous? God, did that give you hope. Hope that maybe, just maybe, he would say three little words that you'd been dying to say to him. "Okay, shoot." You said, trying to sound like you were completely calm and had no idea of what was going on-well, that last part was pretty accurate. Anyway, seeming to buy into your aloof-ish façadé, he continued, "Y/N, I love you. And not just as a friend..." The room seemed to go still as your face reddened.