But Jennie's back screamed mystery to Jisoo.

There was a thin jagged line that ran from her right shoulder blade across to her midsection. It was weathered by age, and was a tone darker than her own skin. There were smaller ones below it, one on the small of her back and two on her left near her bum. But behind her left shoulder was four crescent-like curves that were beside each other. Jisoo shivered. They look like fingernails that had been buried into skin.

Jisoo blinked as she recognized what they were.

Scars.

Jennie had scars on her body. No wonder she would never wear revealing clothes. Even when her dresses had no sleeves to them, she would cover her skin with a cardigan. This was the reason. It made an awful feeling in the pit of her stomach, knowing scars were not made unless a deep cut or serious injury was inflicted.

Jisoo had a series of questions in her mind, but when she realized who Jennie was, she reminded herself to not pry further into the story behind each scar. Jennie did not deserve her care, but she deserved the scars.

A part of Jisoo wanted to know and comfort Jennie, but the bigger part felt satisfied and content knowing someone had physically hurt her. It was what she got for helping her husband cheat. She silently thanked the person who gave Jennie the scars.

Karma's a bitch. And will always be one.

Jisoo placed the dress on the bed and left the room.

***

Jennie took the brush from the drawer and started combing her hair. She decided a shower would do her good, so she wasted no time in washing away the day's problems. She stood bare in front of the mirror, the cool air hitting on her body, and her eyes plastered on her belly. She sighed and took the towel from the rack to dry her skin from the water, hoping to clear any form of tension. As the towel's journey made its way to her back, Jennie stopped.

She once again looked at the mirror, seeing the scars from her childhood and early adolescence. All of them were from her mother, except the four curves. She let the towel move over the four, remembering how she got damaged because of what happened.

But the scars on her back did not even make up half the scars on her heart. Scars she could not see nor even touch were the ones that hurt her the most. They can never be healed, only further opened.

Seeing that the scars would only bring back the past she buried, she retreated back to the bedroom, seeing the dress Joohyun had bought for her the week before on the bed, but she frowned when she remembered the dresses exposed her upper back. Jennie got to her cabinet and realized all of her cardigans were still in the laundry. Grace would not pick them up until it was dusk. She would--could never wear this without a cover. It would show too much.

Jennie grabbed the dress Jisoo bought for her that shielded the skin below the neck and put it on. She took a deep breath and went to the living room.

"Why are you not wearing the other dress?" Jisoo asked now wearing a pair of denim shorts and flannel shirt, with a pair of heeled boots. It was rare to catch Jisoo wearing such casual clothing, so the sight made appreciation seep into Jennie's blood.

"I just... decided not to." Jennie replied. On the corner of her eye she saw how Jisoo's jaw clenched at her answer, almost as if she didn't believe her.

"Oh? Not bold enough to wear a sleeveless dress?" Jisoo crossed her arms, wearing her smirk.

Jennie looked away, hoping Mark would come fast so they could leave.