"Oh, I miss you, too. How are you?" What I really want to ask is, how are you doing with your parents' divorce, but that's too inappropriate.

"I'm okay."

"Does your father know you're calling?"

"No, but George told me it was okay." He sounds too excited for me to end our conversation.

We talk for a few more minutes, and I'm able to gather bits of information without actually asking probing questions. For instance, Theo is mad, at whom, he doesn't know. JF says that Theo just stomps around the house all the time and won't talk to anyone. I assume it's because he's upset with his father's divorce. I'll have to ask Harry about it.

George forces Jonathan Francis off of the phone because they have tennis practice, but he promises to call me back as soon as he's done.

I can't keep the smile off of my face as I place my phone back on the nightstand and try to get some more sleep. I end up dozing off and on for about another hour. But it seems that I'm fairly popular today because I'm woken up by another phone call.

"Hello?"

"Alyssa, hi. This is Anne."

I shoot up in bed and feel the need to cover myself up with covers. "Oh, hi."

"I was wondering if I could meet you for lunch. I'm going to be in the city all day, so I thought this would give us a good opportunity to talk." She doesn't sound upset or angry, but I can't tell by her tone I'm headed into the lion's den.

Of course, I can't turn her down.

"Sure. Lunch would be nice," I say.

"Good. Is one good for you?"

"Yes, that will be fine."

"Okay, meet me at the Omni Parker Hotel. I look forward to it."

"Me too." I try to make myself sound confident, but I'm not sure it's working.

We end our call, and I can feel my heart thumping in my chest. Did she want to kill me? Probably. I split up her son's family.

I take a shower and make myself a light breakfast. I probably should go to the gym, but can't find the energy. I spend the morning researching for my seemingly endless task of finding Carl's replacement. This search will never end.

I get more nervous as the lunch hour approaches.

I chose the most modest and classy outfit I can find in my closet. A classic black dress that falls to my knees and black pumps. I place my hair in a messy bun at the base of my neck and away from my face.

I stand in front of the mirror and debate on jewelry.

"Pearls or no pearls?" I ask myself. The Omni Parker Hotel is a place of ancient history and known for outstanding sophistication. And I was going to be dining with Anne Styles, which I knew came at a high price.

I needed to show her I wasn't some skank off the street.

I decide on forgoing pearls for the moment. I didn't want to appear too dressy. Maybe if this was dinner, I could get away with it. I do choose to leave on the bracelet and necklace Harry gave me. Both items are so special, and I've gotten into a nasty habit of twirling the chain of the necklace between my fingers when I'm nervous. Today, I'm sure it will get a workout.

I take a taxi and arrive at the hotel fifteen minutes early. There are two restaurants, and even though Anne didn't tell me where we would be having lunch, I choose the one that specializes in fine dining. I just have a hunch.