Chapter 7

"You know what all this feels like? Fate."

-The Best of Me, coming to theaters this Friday

Chapter 7

Josie

10 years later …

We parked the car in the open field, and I stared at the stadium in front of me. I hadn’t been here in ten years. After the one year in the apartment complex, I moved much farther off campus into a condo. I randomly went out and even had a guy that I kind of considered a boyfriend, but he just didn’t do it for me. When I graduated, I never looked back … I never wanted to.

I got out of the car and looked at my husband. He was the only man that ever made me smile who didn’t take it away afterwards. I never frowned or cried. We were grotesquely perfect, and he loved me. He loved every time I distracted him. He would never say no. We could always work things out. He would never just walk away from something that seemed so perfect.

I didn’t think I would ever let it go. It was ridiculous. I had only dated Ramsey for a few months, but it was strong and solid, and he took it away. I did everything I could, and he took it away. I wanted to let it go, but I never did. It took me a long time to trust my happiness again. When my husband proposed to me, I felt that I could finally trust again. I loved him and he loved me. He didn’t want to leave me. I rubbed my not so flat belly and my heart grew bigger.

I looked over at him as he carried two chairs and dragged a cooler behind him, while still holding my hand. I rolled my eyes and said, “Babe, I can carry a chair. I’m only four months along and those things weigh like nothing.”

“Nope.”

“Well, at least use both hands.” I tried to pull my hand away but he gripped tighter.

“Unheard of.” He glanced at me and winked. I wasn’t sure, but it was a possibility that I fell for him just because of his eyes. I loved the way he looked at me. He always looked at me like I was the most precious thing in the world. I knew he’d never leave me. I could be happy. It was okay to be happy.

We got to our little tailgating area. My husband had been coming every weekend there was a game, but I always came up with an excuse. I complained about it being too hot or it being too cold. I just never went.

A few kids ran around me as Sara came up to give me a hug. Her back to normal auburn hair was in a loose ponytail. She wasn’t with Wes anymore. It was kind of sad when it happened, but she had a good man now and adorable kids. I dragged Camille out. She was leaning up against a truck, talking with the people around us, and drinking as heavy as ever. I went over to her and nudged her. She turned to me and gave me a hug.

“I’ve missed my friend,” she kind of slurred, not too bad though.

“I just saw you last week, Camille.”

“I miss how I used to see you every day.”

I walked with her to the ice chest and pulled out two bottles of water. She needed to hydrate. “Well, we can go to dinner maybe on Tuesday.”

She shook her head. “I’ve been thinking, Josie. I think I’m gonna move. I need a new city with men that aren’t all frat boys.”

“Mine is not a frat boy.”

“I know. I think you and Sara took the last good ones. I’m just tired of this town. I need a fresh start.”

I pouted. I would miss my friend. “Well, don’t go too far.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll stay in the south.” She tapped my water bottle, and I chugged along with her.

As quick as I downed the bottle, I needed to find a restroom. I went over to the husband and kissed him on the cheek. “Bathroom. I’ll be back.”

He laughed and squeezed my hand. I crossed the street, heading toward the class buildings. Most were locked but a few were open for restroom use. When I opened the bathroom, I was thankful for no line. I left a few moments later, aiming for a chair.

“Josie?”

I stopped before I got to the street. I could see my husband. I wanted to ignore the voice and cross the street. I had learned to ignore him almost perfectly. I sighed and turned around.

His hair was shorter and his face was clean shaven. He had lost a few pounds. I instinctively attempted to cover up my stomach with my hand, which brought his eyes to my stomach. They widened. Did he expect me to pine for him for ten years?

He took a step closer to me and asked, “How are you?”

I shrugged my shoulders and answered as honestly as I ever could, “I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.”

His shoulders sagged as he sighed. A small smile lifted up his cheeks. I had nothing else to say to him.

“It was good to see you again, Ramsey. I hope you enjoy the game. Good luck at being a doctor or whatever it is you now are.” I turned to walk away.

“I am a doctor now.”

I stopped briefly, but took a step again toward the street.

“Josie, can you wait just one moment?” he asked.

I sighed and turned around. He could talk.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’ve heard that before.” I turned again, but he touched my arm, keeping me still.

“I should have never allowed us to get so close. I’m sorry that I ever hurt you. I did love you. I probably always will.” He stopped as I stared into his eyes. It was a bittersweet moment. At least I wasn’t the only one having trouble letting go. He exhaled and continued, “All I wanted was for you to be happy. I wish I could have given it to you, but seeing that ring on your finger and your protruding stomach, my guess is that you really are happy.”

“My life is perfect.” And it was. I had to thank him for that.

He squeezed my hand and whispered, “Then I can move on. I haven’t been able to let go of what I did … as silly as it sounds.”

I shook my head. “Not silly. It was pretty traumatic.”

He nodded. “It was good to see you again, Josie Stevens.”

“Abernathy.”

“You’ll always be Josie Stevens to me.”

I sighed as I took a moment and stepped toward him. I wrapped my arms around his neck and his hands rested on my back.

“It was good to see you again, Ramsey. I want you to go be happy. You have one dream. You can have another.”

He released his hold of me and smiled while squeezing my hands. “Take care, Josie.”

“Goodbye, Ramsey.”

I turned around and crossed the street. My husband just knew when he saw my face. He wrapped me in his arms and whispered over and over, “I love you. I love you. I love you.”

In that moment, I understood why I had to endure what I had. I was now so thankful for Ramsey. He pointed me to the man I was supposed to spend my life with. I rubbed my belly. There was always room for more than one dream.

• The End •