Nightmares of the Past

Start from the beginning

"Okay," Race says and the pair walk with the other Newsies over to the Distribution Center. Oscar and Morris soon begin to mess with Charlie.

"Hey, girly! Come to buy some papes from the best distributors in town?" Oscar asks flirtatiously.

"I think it's more about the people you sell them too," she says cockily, "The best Newsie in town will be glad to make money for the fine people of New York City." Full of confidence, Charlie marches up, slaps some change onto the table, and takes her papes from Oscar. All of the Newsies cheer loudly.

"I like a strong female personality!" Race calls out loudly making Charlie blush a little bit. She jumps down closer to him and the two of them set off to sell papers. 

The evening comes and Charlie sits down to play cards with Race, Albert, Skittery, Mush, and Boots. Albert sits one side of Race while Charlie sits on the other. Romeo plops next to Charlie with a huge smile on his face.

"Guess what I found?" he asks excitedly and Charlie raises an eyebrow questioningly. "A date!!" Romeo cries out when she doesn't answer.

"You finally found yourself a date," Charlie says with a slight note of shock in her voice. Romeo looks slightly sad but Charlie tucks him into a side hug before any damage can be done.

"Are you happy for me?" he asks and Charlotte nods.

"More than you know," she whispers and hugs him tightly. He then wiggles away out of her grasp and sits next to her. Romeo helps her through the poker game much to all of the other Newsies' chagrins. Charlotte slams down her cards at the end of the game. 

"Oh, you did not just play a.." Skittery starts but Charlie cuts him off.

"A Royal Flush?" she asks cockily and she points to the cards on the table, "Take a look, Skittery."

"I can't believe I just lost to you," Race groans. Charlie and Romeo both giggle.

"Looks like we did a good job, Romeo," she says. The boys roll their eyes and decide to call it a night. Charlotte hugs Romeo goodnight and helps him get ready for bed like a sweet mother does. She kisses his forehead and sends him off to bed.

"Hey!" Race complains, "Where's my kiss?" Charlie chuckles and gently kisses his cheek, causing both of them to flush pink. Romeo chuckles and shakes his head at the two of them.

"Goodnight, lovebirds," Romeo calls out as he wanders off to bed and Charlie shakes her head.

"Goodnight, Romeo," he calls out and Race retorts,

"Who ya calling lovebirds? Didn't you just get yourself a date?" Romeo blushes and jumps into bed faster than a Newsies could say "papes". Charlotte turns around and makes her way downstairs to her bedroom. She jumps into her clothes that she sleeps in and goes to bed.

A couple of hours later, Charlotte wakes up straight out of a nightmare. All she could see was Race and Romeo being pounded by the cops during the strike. She hears Genie whispering comforting words in her ear only to fall to her knees a moment later. Charlotte shakes her head trying to clear her mind of the terrible dream but, it won't go away. She opens the window outside her room and sits down on the fire escape. The tears begin to fall before she can stop them. Her crying isn't very loud, but loud enough to wake someone who is a light sleeper. Someone like Racetrack Higgins.

Racetrack wakes up and hears crying. It's soft and faint, but most certainly there. Race climbs out of bed very quickly and peers out the window to see Charlie crying on the fire escape. Making sure that no one else is awake, Race climbs out the window and quietly sits down next to her.