Driven

I'm twenty-four no kids , no girlfriend , no responsibility other than myself. In June I graduated from college. My major , business My minor ; law. I did everything I was supposed to and my mother didn't live long enough to see me make it. My mama's name was Rose. Rose Bernice Brown. My mother and father were married 37 years before they divorced. Before she was diagnosed with breast cancer and before she had me. Don't think I grew up without him though! He was at every athletic game I had. Home and away. Birthdays , graduations , family cook outs , holidays..He was there. Always. I'm not an only child , I have an older brother and a twin sister. I wouldn't say she's as accomplished as me but she definitely has a lot going for herself. Her name is Angie , his name is Linley. For black folks our names are decent.

Damn. I'm late for work. It's 6:10 am and I'm usually out the door by now.
I walk through the hallway that leads to the door to enters my garage. For a 24 year old I'm doing a damn straight job. I turn on the radio , pull out in my rented Mercedes and close the garage behind me.

I made it to work on time but lord knows I'm paying worth $6-700 dollars in tickets. I counted five , five lights I ran.

I'm trying to get up out the place I'm in but stupid things like that add up and take a toll on me.

I greet everyone and go to my desk. Seran comes peeking over my cubicle with the biggest smile on her face and I'm as content as ever when I ask

" Can I help you with something Ms.Matthews? "

She answers my question with a question " Are you going to the gym later tonight? "

" yes ma'am " I answer with a fake smile & she responds

" see you there " she smiled back flirtatiously

She is so fine. I need to stay away from her though , I can smell her insecurities and problems. I'm tempted , but I can control myself.

I get to work. Work=Sorting papers, answering calls , making appointments , & plenty of writing. By 8 pm I'm ready to go but when I leave to go to the gym I don't want Seran there. I work two hours over time.

When I get to the gym , I change in the bathroom and put my work clothes in my duffel bags. As I'm walking out I hear "Ty!" But I keep walking as if I didn't. "Ty" they call again with a bit of exaggeration and before I could sigh Seran pulls my hand & I turn around to give her a hug.

" what's up girl? " I say to her

" You tell me Tyrese , are you tryna hook up or what? " she responds

I stare at her for a moment " You know what Seran... I already have a washer and dryer , so I'm good with the hook up " I joke trying to change the subject

She laughs and hits my chest playfully.

" catch you later " I say

"bye punk " she says back

I get an hour workout in before I was tired & surprisingly I see Angie squat lifting.

I walk over and I see a dude in the corner biting his lip & pulling out his phone so I call out " you good my nigga?! " with my arms open wide

He laughs and turns his phone around for me to see him face timing with his girlfriend
I nod and clench my jaw while Angie is dying laughing
" Okay..what are you doing here Fats "
I ask shaking my head

" same thing you or anyone else does at the gym " she spits back

" wrong question slick. WHY are you here? " I say

" getting in shape " she answers

" for who? For you? Cause I know you not looking for nobody. You too young for that grown stuff " (me)