Chapter 7: Orpheus

Start from the beginning

"Pictures?" River asked, hand on the banister of the staircase that lead upstairs.

      I hadn't been up to his room yet. When we studied it was in the livingroom. Bedrooms were always telling. Well depending on how someone chose to decorate. I began following him upstairs, taking in details of the rather odd natured house. It seemed decorated to completion. But at the same time missing something.

"My room is kind of a mess so i'm sorry in advance." River spoke. I just waved dismissively when he looked back at me.

      I was a little curious as to what his hobbies were. After all he knew so much about me so far and I knew very little about him. We'd made it to a door that he opened, revealing a room with various retro band and music posters adorning the walls. It looked like something out of the era of the 50s or 60s. His room wasn't sparkling clean. Yet not unbearably messy. My eyes landed on one poster in particular. Massive Attack. I didn't listen to all of their music but there was some of it that I loved. 

"Do you like them too?" He asked, seeming to have seen my staring as he sat on the foot of his bed.

"Yeah." I said simply, studying the details of his room.

"We should just listen to music sometime. If that's not weird." He rambled. He was always so nervous. I felt just a little bad for poking at him sometimes. But I'd never meant any harm.

"Sure." I replied, turning to him with a smile that seemed to melt him on the spot.

"Really?" He asked, sounding confused.

"You seem cool." I shrugged.

      My eyes landed on a small cluster of polaroids. Most of them seemed to be of vintage things given an extra flare with that kind of photography. There was one of him and Joshua on the beach; much younger albeit. But cute nonetheless. I liked polaroid photos and most things retro.

"Oh. My pictures." He babbled, getting up and approaching me.

      I'd test the waters a bit more today. He was coming for a shelf above me with a photo album of sorts. This was all above the cluster of polaroids and a desk with his laptop on it. I'd moved out of the way just enough but sat on the sturdy desk as he had to be awkwardly close to me. I was okay with my personal space being invaded. But it seemed to do tons of things to him. I eyed him with innocent interest as he cleared his throat in a clear attempt to regain his composure. He eventually sat down at his desk as I studied him how he'd study me. I hadn't looked at him this closely. He had heterochromia; one eye being dark brown and the other a lighter amber-like color. Facial hair was scraggly, just starting to come in. Hair a mess of dark loose curls atop his head.

"Umm." He began, meeting my gaze for but a moment before looking in his photo album. He seemed so frazzled that he couldn't function. So he'd handed it to me to flip through. 

       He had talent. The vast majority of these pictures were masterpieces and works of art. Not something that a regular person with a camera was capable of for certain. With so many different types of photography I wondered what he couldn't do with a camera. After a while he gained the confidence to explain stories of certain pictures; all the while satisfied with my simple responses. Now we were just musing about music until my eyes landed on his polaroid camera. I got up suddenly, picking it up.

"Take a picture of me? For your collage?" I asked simply, seeming to catch him off guard.

"Really?" He questioned in return, seeming skeptical.

"Yes really." I huffed with an amused smile.

        He seemed flustered as I sat in his computer chair, resting my elbows on my knees as he crouched down to get a good angle. It was quick and painless as he quickly snapped a few pictures.